Soccer drops both games of weekend series

soccer_gc_02
Greg Cornwell/Staff Photographer Senior forward Laura Gosse scored two goals Friday afternoon against Oakland at the CMU Soccer Complex. The Chippewas defeated the Grizzlies, 2-1.

Dropping both games it played this weekend, the Central Michigan University soccer team headed back to Mount Pleasant Sunday night with a record of 1-5-1.

The Chippewas suffered a heart-wrenching loss to Air Force in overtime 3-2 Friday before losing to Colorado College 3-1 Sunday.

“I think of this weekend as a buffet,” Head coach Peter McGahey said. “You stand at some parts it looks good. At others it doesn’t looks so good. We’re scoring goals at a better clip than we were a year ago. We’re also conceding in a way that is not acceptable.”

Chippewas senior Captain Laura Gosse tallied her third and fourth goals of the season this weekend despite the pair of CMU losses.

Gosse has two thirds of all of the team’s goals in 2014.

Air Force 3, CMU 2:

Senior Emily Cooksey was sent off with a red card in the 80th minute against Air Force. Kaylin Hoomaian scored the game-tying goal in the 84th minute.

The Chippewas survived playing a man down for more than a half hour of game clock before eventually falling in overtime.

The Chippewas were heavily outshot (24 to 7) against the Falcons.

Air Force did not concede a corner kick to CMU during the match.

McGahey did not deny the role the increased altitude played in the final decision of Friday’s game.

“It was undoubtedly a factor,” he said. “How much you never know but it definitely had an impact on them.”

Colorado College 3, CMU 1:

The women were outshot 26-5 during their loss to Colorado College Sunday.

McGahey started sophomore goalkeeper Heather Laeufer in place of Maddy Bunnell. Lauefer stopped 12 shots during the loss.

“We wanted to make sure that we got Heather some exposure going into the MAC season,” McGahey said. “We want to make sure we have a full goalkeeping crew that is ready.”

CMU have yet to win away from home in 2014. With five losses and a tie away from Mount Pleasant they look forward to their next three games, which will all be home.

The Chippewas host their last non-conference opponent (IPFW) at 4 p.m. Friday at the CMU Soccer Complex. The Chippewas will then host their first two Mid-American Conference opponents the following weekend.