Women's basketball to play Kentucky, South Carolina as part of 2014-15 schedule

mb_wbbal227_5
Coach Sue Guevara shouts commands to her team in the fourth quarter on Feb 27 in McGuirk Arena.

This year's women’s basketball schedule features several important non-conference match-ups.

“I’m looking forward to all of (CMU’s non-conference games)” said head coach Sue Guevara. “When you have a team like ours with experience, inexperience and a lot in between, they’re all important.”

Last year CMU lost non-conference games to Kentucky, Purdue, Notre Dame and Duke. The Wildcats are on that list of teams CMU will face again for 2014-15.

“I don’t think there’s any doubt that our non-conference schedule will help us when it’s time for Mid-American Conference season,” Guevara said. “Going on the road to play those non-conference will go a long way for us.”

The women will compete in two key non-conference tournaments in 2014.

CMU will compete in Las Vegas on Nov. 28, and in Minnesota in late December.

The Chippewas will take on Richmond and Oregon in Las Vegas, and face South Carolina in Minnesota as well as the hosting Golden-Gophers later that weekend.

“Both tournaments are on the road so they will both present challenges to our team,” Guevara said. “Minnesota has some new personnel and South Carolina has a chance to be in the top five.”

A reoccurring theme in Guevara’s scheduling the recently has been the inclusion of the Dayton Flyers.

In 2013, the two teams met twice, once in Mount Pleasant, which was one for CMU on Crystal Bradford’s game-winning buzzer-beater.

“We’re scheduling games to test our team,” Guevara said. “ We need to see where we are, where we need to go and how we need to get there.”

Though the first week of the season is still weeks away, Guevara says her squad is already preparing for action.

“Every day, no matter who we’re playing, it is very important for us to accomplish the same mission we’ve always had,” she said. “Winning a MAC Championship.”