Shaping Our State

Cast your vote Nov. 4 to make the Michigan you dream of a reality

Many Central Michigan University students may not realize that Election Day is now less than three weeks away. If the steady stream of campaign advertisements has not yet filtered into your consciousness, we would like to remind you that on Nov. 4, Michigan needs your voice.

Statistics say you will probably ignore the call. Less than half of the citizens registered to vote in Michigan will actually participate in the gubernatorial election, according to the Department of State’s most recent numbers.

At the same time, it seems like everybody has an opinion. Complaints and debates about public policies and elected officials are often a part of everyday life. Students engage in conversations with one another about such topics as gay marriage, abortion and education funding. Social media pages are plastered with longwinded comments criticizing the status quo.

And, still, most students do not vote.

Not only is this hypocritical; it is dangerous.

As adult citizens, we have an obligation to be informed on current events and basic politics. For a democracy to function in the way it was designed, we must rid ourselves of apathy and become concerned with the future of our society.

This means learning about candidates and issues, rather than allowing popular opinion or propaganda to sway decisions. This means engaging in conversations with friends, family and peers in order to convey ideas, learn from others and develop an educated opinion.

Do not let the perceived complexity of politics stop you from participating in what directly impacts your life. The number of candidates and range of issues can seem overwhelming to even the most experienced voters.

Start with the basics by checking out www.mi.gov/sos to figure out the logistics of voter registration and absentee ballots. Questions that are not answered on the website can be clarified by a simple phone call to the department at (888) 767-6424.

Do not be afraid to reach out and ask questions about the voting process. You pay taxes and support the infrastructure of your state. The Department of State should be more than happy to assist you in efficiently carrying out your Constitutional right.

There is a wealth of information regarding the upcoming election, some of it truthful and some of it misleading. Major news outlets like the Detroit Free Press and Detroit News provide extensive coverage of candidates and issues, as well as context and related history. Head to www.mlive.com/voterguide for a comprehensive, easily digestible guide to the election.

Also, continue reading CM Life, visit cm-life.com and check out our Facebook and Twitter pages for coverage of the election.

The more information you consume, and the greater the variety of sources, the more informed and confident you will become as a citizen and as a voter.   

If you choose not to vote, and choose not to practice one of the most precious freedoms our democracy grants, you relinquish your right to complain.

Hone your criticism into constructive dialogue. Funnel your energies into making a difference. Make your voice heard on Nov. 4, and cast your ballot.

Make the Michigan you dream of a reality.