​COLUMN: Branching out with the ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’

I never would’ve imagined myself going to the “Rocky Horror Picture Show.” I didn’t even know anything about it. But I decided to go because my education is about experiencing new ideas and activities and learning something from them.

I definitely did learn something; I learned how powerful it is to be in an accepting environment.

I learned how important it is to stop worrying about little details all of the time and just experience the world; how meaningful it is to let go of your previous perceptions and be challenged by new ones.

The college experience is about more than simply going to class or having a fun social life ­– it’s about looking at the world in new ways and breaking away from your comfort zone. With the different props, people shouting throughout the film and the costumes, the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” is definitely unlike anything I’ve experienced before.

The film is known for its cult following. For Port Huron freshman Calli Morris and her friends, going to the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” has become hallowed Halloween tradition.

“[My friends and I] really love how quirky it is, the different kinds of people you get, and just the acceptance you feel in that atmosphere,” Morris said.

At the “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” people could wear what they wanted without judgment. Think about how beautiful the world would be if that wasn’t some rare occasion: If we accepted people regardless of how they looked or dressed. The concept shouldn’t seem as strange as it seems.

We shouldn’t have to make acceptance a special occasion. We shouldn’t have to attend a show to feel confident or powerful. We shouldn’t have to make excuses for who we are or what we think or what we feel.

Go to an event like “Rocky Horror Picture Show” and be honest with yourself. Be honest about the judgments you make without always realizing it. Be honest about how you normally judge and critique yourself, too.

When we’re honest with ourselves, we’re much more likely to try to make a change. We realize that no matter how many classes we’ve taken, there’s still more to learn.

So many ideas and beliefs exist, and it’s easy for us to become so focused on our own.

“[Going to the Rocky Horror Picture Show] certainly can broaden your mind and your interests,” Morris said.

The world around us is the most valuable textbook. We shouldn’t just study it; we should immerse ourselves in it.