A Diverse Alliance

Coming Out Week celebrates community diversity

Coming Out Week serves as more than just a celebration of being comfortable in one’s own skin. It symbolizes an evolution in our understanding and acceptance of the LGBTQ community.

Fifty years ago, the idea of identifying your sexuality in any way but heterosexual was largely taboo. There were not widespread pride parades, not as many outspoken organizations or nearly as much public support for the cause. This cast a shadow over the LGBTQ population, forcing many individuals to keep their identities in the dark for fear of hostility or discrimination.

Today, we are excited to recognize that society has become more tolerant of individual differences. We are proud to see our traditionally conservative mid-Michigan community celebrating those differences. 

The better our understanding of others, the stronger and more united we become as a community.

The United States Supreme Court’s decision Monday to not rule on the constitutionality of same sex marriage seemed to affirm that ideology.

The Supreme Court's latest move propelled several states to issue same sex marriage licenses and will likely bring the number of states allowing it up to 30. Same sex marriage is not legal in Michigan, and we must wait to see if the 6th Circuit appeals court will uphold the bans enacted indefinitely in March.

We encourage legislators in Lansing to look across the state, and nation, to see which way public opinion is swaying.

In accordance with many other cities in Michigan, Mount Pleasant passed an anti-discrimination ordinance in July 2012. Complementing state and federal law, the ordinance recognizes discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity as illegal.  

We commend Central Michigan University and Mount Pleasant for fostering an environment where every student and community member feels safe and accepted, regardless of religion, race, sexual identity or other differences.

Our community’s response to the “coming out” of LGBTQ students should serve as a template for our nation. 

Especially during Coming Out Week, we consider it crucial for the LGBTQ community and allies to band together and make our collective voice ring throughout our community and from Lansing to Washington D.C. and back again.

How to get involved

Coming Out Week includes a variety of options for CMU students to be heard, to show support and to build a better understanding of our diverse community.

Today from 8-9 p.m., the Center for Inclusion and Diversity will host “100 percent inclusive sex education.”

The event “Trans 101,” hosted by registered student organization Transcend, will take place on Thursday from 12-1 p.m. On Friday, “The Basics on Being an Ally to the LGBTQ Community” will be showcased in Rowe 229. The week will culminate Saturday at 7 p.m. with guest speaker TJ Sullivan’s “Gay and Greek: Exploring the Intersections” in Plachta Auditorium.