Still undefeated in MAC, field hockey hosts Ohio

fieldhockeyhorizontal
Sophomore midfielder Olivia Wagner sprints downfield on Sunday, Oct. 12 against Longwood at the CMU Field Hockey Complex. The Chippewas won in overtime, 4-3.

As it attempts to stay undefeated in the Mid-American Conference, the Central Michigan University field hockey team (6-9) hosts Ohio University (3-9) on Saturday.

CMU has won five out of its last six games. The Chippewas are outscoring their opponents 13 - 6 through the four conference games they have played in 2014. Leading the way for CMU has been junior Kaysie Gregory, senior Cayleigh Immelman and junior Kianne Hinkle.

The Bobcats head into Mount Pleasant sitting in third place with a 2-2 conference record. Both teams have lost to top-ranked nonconference opponents this fall. The Chippewas fell to No. 8 Northwestern University on Oct. 12. OU lost to No. 7 Louisville earlier this year.

Currently riding a two game win streak, head coach Cristy Freese is keeping  the game plan for her team simple. 

“We have to take it one game at a time, and try not make the game any bigger,” Freese said.

Against St. Louis last week CMU had plenty of opportunities to score, but only capitalized on one. 

Despite the recent success, Freese said she is always looking for improvements the Chippewas can make.

“We had trouble finishing (against St. Louis) and our execution needs to be better,” she said. 

The Bobcats snapped a five game losing streak last week when they topped Ball State University. During the losing skid, OU was shut out in four of those games. 

CMU goal keeper Sadie Reynolds  is coming off a shut out against St. Louis. Reynolds has not allowed more than three goals in any MAC game CMU has played this year. 

Game time is set for 1 p.m.