LaBelle sells $4 million restaurant operations

labelle_ck_01
The Pixie and $4 million of other LaBelle Management restaurants were acquired by Inspired Concepts CEO Jeff Neely this week. Neely bought the properties as part of the LaBelle brothers' transition into retirement.

Privately held investment and restaurant management company Inspired Concepts has acquired LaBelle Management's $4 million restaurant division.

Owned by LaBelle Management's Chief Operating Officer Jeff Neely, Inspired Concepts was created as an investment company focused on Michigan restaurants. Neely said he plans to add to the company's portfolio and "enhance" the restaurants, which include the Mount Pleasant and Midland Bennigan’s, The Italian Oven, the Pixie, seven state-wide Ponderosa Steakhouses, the Detroit-area Smashburgers, as well as Gun Lake Casino operations of Johnny Rockets and Villa Pizza.

The actual properties are owned by LaBelle Management but the restaraunts will not be leased to and managed by Inspired Concepts, a Mount Pleasant-based company leasing space with LaBelle.

"I live in Michigan, our family is involved in running the company. We're going to be Michigan-based and operated," Neely said. "We will try to purchase as many products as possible from Michigan companies."

There will be no changes to the management staff, Neely said, all management teams that were in place before the transition were rehired. He said the plan is to grow and Inspired Concepts will be looking for additional sites to expand.

LaBelle Management first entered into the restaurant business in 1948 when Norm LaBelle opened the Pixie in Mount Pleasant and then expanded through the years under the leadership of Norm’s sons Doug and Bart LaBelle to include hotels and real estate.

As the LaBelle brothers prepare to retire, Neely will absorb the restaurant division.

"I joined LaBelle three-and-half-years ago with the intent to purchase the restaurants from LaBelle," Neely said. "The two current owners have been in the business their entire lives."

Neely has more than 30 years of executive experience in restaurant operations high-profile brands including Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, Max & Erma’s, Einstein Noah Bagels and Domino’s Pizza. Neely served as the COO for LaBelle Management for the last three years and plans to leave LaBelle to manage the restaurants soon.

“We are thrilled to be part of the Michigan restaurant community and are committed to serving our guests mouth-watering food in a warm, friendly environment. We have employed the best team members in the world to do that,” Neely said.

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →