Professors stress importance of office hours

Trying is better than regretting, said Monroe senior Patrick Felder. He said he wishes he had gone to his professors' office hours more often as an underclassman.

“The gain of going for five minutes, even in vain, is better than not going at all,” Felder said. “Most of the time the professor is going to be really helpful.”

Professors are a resource that students are encouraged to use and not only for course help. Office hours are opportunities to ask for help with majors, different kinds of jobs, and help with planning classes.

Grand Blanc sophomore Alexis Jones recommends stopping by to meet professors in the beginning of the year. She said it shows you take initiative and helps you stand out from the crowd.

Professors also are also more lenient and accommodating when they know you on a personal level, said Jones. Personal relationships can provide future job references or even job opportunities.

“There’s a couple of professors that I still go see," Jones said. “When I need references, I know they will be able to help because they know me.”

Mathematics Professor Katie Soller would welcome seeing more students visiting her office. The semester is halfway over, and some students have not gone to see their professors. 

Waterford freshman Alexandra Wilcox said the reason she has not gone is two-fold.

“I haven’t really had a reason to, and I’m kind of intimidated,” she said.

Dusty Myers said another excuse he often hears from students is that they are afraid to bother their professors. However, Myers and Soller do not view students' questions as bothersome—they urge students to make use of the time they offer.

“I am happy to help, but they just have to come and ask.” said Soller. “That’s what we’re there for.”

As far as intimidation goes, Soller said once they get past that first meeting, students realize it’s not as bad as they thought it would be.

Rochester Hills freshman Christine Busch went to one of her professors in the beginning of the year. According to Busch, she has not had to go again this semester. If she did, she said she would feel more comfortable because she has already done it once.

“If you don’t need help, you can always go to them if you’re interested in something,” said Grand Blanc senior Samuel Heller. “They are there for you to take advantage of, that’s why you’re paying them.”