Homecoming parade unites CMU students, alumni

West Campus and Main Street were lined with maroon and gold Saturday morning.

Students, alumni and Mount Pleasant residents were strung across the streets waiting to see what each float had to offer in Central Michigan University's Homecoming Parade.

The two-mile parade began with the cheerleaders getting the crowds pumped for homecoming by holding up signs and doing the chants everyone knows and loves. 

Shortly after, CMU President, George Ross and his wife rode down the street waving and smiling to the children and people of Mount Pleasant.

“Homecoming is an exciting thing because it really brings people together,” said Monroe senior Lisa Hughes. “It’s bittersweet knowing that once I graduate I’ll be able to come back and celebrate Central, just like all of the alumni here today.”

Behind them was Fun. keyboardist and CMU alumnus Andrew Dost, this year’s Grand Marshall, in a red topless jeep. He donned a CMU baseball cap and alumni sweater.

The homecoming ambassadors were being carried down Main St. on a horse drawn carriage and the “10 within 10” winners followed behind them on their own float. 

Some floats played classic rock music including the Beatles. One had a bright yellow "Here Comes the Sun" sign on their float.

There was also a Super Mario float, Campus Life, Beddow Hall’s 1920s portrayal and a “Central Diner” float. The New Towers' float had a 1970s theme with lava lamps and a sign that read “Right on.”

Some others included one portraying the 50s and Larzy’s 80s float, which read “Sweet Larzy of Mine.” There were students dressed like they were from the 80s, and a giant rubix cube.

“This was my first homecoming at Central,” said Livonia freshman Colin Flavin. “I wanted to be a part of it and I didn’t have any 80s clothing, so I volunteered to be the Rubix Cube. It’s awesome to see so many students participating and fired up for homecoming.”

Floats weren't the only the entertainment on hand. “Terror on 27”, a haunted attraction, had people dressed up for Halloween walking down the streets. One man was even on stilts in a scary costume, surrounded by fellow ‘scarers’ dressed as creepy clowns.

Some candidates for senate and state representative were also walking along side the students and alumni. One of these candidates was Brian Mielke, who was waving at people and inviting students to join them and pass out candy to kids.

“I asked one of the guys running for office if he’d kiss my baby, jokingly,” said North Carolina senior Mike Davis. “He laughed and kissed my face instead.”

Everyone was out and about this Saturday afternoon just being a family. It didn’t matter whether or not students were in a fraternity or know alumni, everyone came together to celebrate.

“As a senior in a fraternity, homecoming is really important to me,” Davis said. “It’s great getting to see all the alumni from Sigma Pi have a place to come back to and find a home here. I’ve met so many people that have done amazing things for us and the community, it’s just a great experience to be a part of.”