Apparent suicide near Hopkins Court

The 28-year-old man who died by suicide near the railroad tracks at the end of Hopkins Court on Saturday morning has been identified as Comstock Park native Grant Daniel Holtholf.

According to a press release sent by Steve Smith, CMU director of public relations, Holtholf was in Mount Pleasant visiting an acquaintance, and the weapon involved was a handgun registered to him.

Officers arrived on-scene within two minutes of receiving a 911 call Saturday and confirmed that a man had a fatal gunshot wound to the chest. Central Michigan Police Department Chief Bill Yeagley said a subsequent investigation indicated the wound was self-inflicted, and any indication of foul play has not been found.

"This is devastating for any community," Yeagley said. "Anytime these events occur its is tragic. It negatively impacts all of us."

Yeagley said there has been no indication during the investigation that there was any safety threat to the university community.

In addition to an autopsy conducted at Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, CMUPD officers were assisted by MMR Ambulance, the Mount Pleasant Fire Department, Michigan State Police and the Mount Pleasant Police Department.

Check back with cm-life.com for more on this story.

About Malachi Barrett

Editor-in-Chief Malachi Barrett is Battle Creek senior majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Malachi Barrett →