Entrepreneurship department names founding Chair

Kenneth J. Sanney has been appointed to lead Central Michigan University's new entrepreneurship department as founding chair.

Sanney became a faculty member of the College of Business Administration's finance and law department in 2009. He serves on the CMU Research Corp. board of directors.

“CMU’s entrepreneurship program shapes budding entrepreneurs through our strong academic curriculum and practical experiences in the start-up and small business world,” said Sanney. “I look forward to contributing to the future direction and growth of entrepreneurship education and new ventures in the state of Michigan and beyond.”

College of Business Administration Dean Chuck Crespy says Sanney’s background and experience makes him equip to lead the new department.

“Ken is a great addition to an already strong team of academics and executives who are hard at work in our award-winning Isabella Bank Institute of Entrepreneurship,” said Crespy.

One of Sanney's priorities is to build a strong team. He said the university needs a dynamic faculty that is focused and centered on the students, while staying connected to the entrepreneurial ecosystem within Michigan.

The department is said to be the only one of its kind in Michigan. In collaboration withe the Isabella Bank Institute of Entrepreneurship, the new department provides the entrepreneurial program with a curriculum that prepares students to start or take on business opportunities.

Sanney said that the institute and the new department will be heavily integrated in order to provide students with the tools they need to be successful entrepreneurs.