Dog Central caters to late-night cravings

dogcentral_md_01
Downtown Mount Pleasant favorite Dog Central has been catering to residents, as well as students since February 2011.

Dog Central continues to thrive as one of the few downtown options for a late-night snack with friends.

Owner Paul McFall will be looking to expand in the next two years either by enlarging the 111 E. Michigan St. location or moving into another one altogether. He said he is also looking at expanding to other cities.

Before Dog Central, ordering delivery meals could satisfy late-night cravings, but McFall noticed there was no real option downtown to sit and eat with friends. Modeled after restaurants like Dog Pit and Yesterdog from Grand Rapids, he created his own business in February 2011.

“This is a student-driven business,” McFall said. “Our roots are for the students.”

Each of the workers are students at Central Michigan University. Even the owner, Paul McFall, is a Central Michigan University alumnus.

Since then, he has watched patrons go out to bars or hang out on the weekends and after classes. This continues to be his recipe for success with an overflowing crowd Thursday through Saturday, when they stay open until 3 a.m.

“We have lines out the door every weekend,” McFall said.

As part of their continued growth, Dog Central recently acquired a mobile cart to help customers during their late-night hunger. The hotdog cart is available to be booked for private, corporate and graduation parties.

The restaurant will enter into the technological world with a new mobile application for purchasing items such as T-shirts, hats and gift cards. It will include an option to watch a live feed of the inside and find the live locations of the hotdog carts.

Detroit alumnus Andrew Neal visited Dog Central recently to see if one of his friends was working. Neal said he used to eat at the restaurant while attending CMU and loves the restaurant.

“It just opened the last year I was at CMU,” Neal said. “Mount Pleasant was lacking interesting places, and this is one of the few hot spots.”

Graff Chevrolet and Buick worker Chris Oldham did not know it existed until the hotdog cart stopped by his workplace as a promotion for a CMU football game.

“I like the creativeness of the menu the most, and the quality of the hotdogs,” Oldham said.

The Vienna-style hot dogs are manufactured by the Little Town Jerky Company in Falmouth. They are made from custom hand-made beef and pork-wrapped lamb casing and hardwood smoked for 10 hours before arriving in Mount Pleasant.

With 23 signature dogs, the expansive menu takes advantage of a wide variety of toppings and flavors, including some eccentric choices like the the Goober Dog, which has shredded pickle, chili, crushed Fritos and peanut butter.