Western Michigan 32, Central Michigan 20: Chippewas end regular season 7-5 after loss to Broncos

wmuloss1

The Central Michigan University football team was handed its fifth and final loss of the regular season by the Western Michigan University Broncos on Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. CMU now waits for a bowl game invitation (Photo by Katy Kildee | Assistant Photo Editor)

The Victory Cannon Trophy is headed back to Kalamazoo.

Down five points with 6:36 to play, the Central Michigan University football team was supposed to get the ball back with a chance to beat the Western Michigan University Broncos.

CMU sophomore defensive tackle Jabari Dean had just burst through the line of scrimmage for a third-down sack, forcing a Western Michigan punt.

But the ball—and the game—slipped through the hands of Chippewas freshman punt returner Amari Coleman and was recovered by the Broncos on the CMU 2-yard line, leading to WMU's game winning score and the Broncos pulled out a 32-20 win at Kelly/Shorts Stadium on Saturday afternoon. 

“I really thought the difference in the game was the fumbled punt,” said Head Coach Dan Enos. “I thought we really had momentum. I thought we were ready to roll.”

On their final two drives of the game, The Chippewas (7-5, 5-3 MAC) made it into Broncos territory. But a a pair of interceptions thrown bu sophomore quarterback Cooper Rush iced the game for WMU (8-3, 6-1 MAC).

The Chippewas will now wait for an invitation to a bowl game after finishing the regular season 7-5. College football bowl selection day is set for Sunday, Dec. 7.

CMU jumped out to a 14-0 lead thanks to a pair of Rush touchdown throws. The Charlotte-native completed passes to seven different receivers in the first quarter, going 7-for-8 for 82 yards.

Enos said his team could not establish the running game after the first quarter, which left the game to Rush and his passers to win.

“I’ve got to be honest to you, we really thought going into the game we could run the football and we didn’t do it very effectively,” Enos said. “Our formula is running the ball on second-and-medium, second-and-short. We weren’t generating that today. Then we had to start throwing the ball and that’s really not our formula to win.”

Senior running back Thomas Rawls ran for 38 of his 76 yards in the first quarter. The Chippewas gained zero net yards rushing the ball in the second half.

“They just played hard,” said CMU junior offensive lineman Nick Beamish. “Harder than we did. And it shows in the score. It hurts.”

Enos said he feels bad for his freshman punt returner, whose mistake cost CMU a win in a rivalry game.

“I feel terrible for him,” Enos said. “He’s a great young man. This whole team was trying to lift him up, that’s the type of guys we have. He’ll have a future (returning punts). He’ll do it for us next year.”

Saturday was the Chippewas final game for seniors at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. The bowl-eligible Chippewas will find out Dec. 7 if they are invited to a bowl game.

“After every loss it’s emotional, but it’s the last game for seniors at Kelly/Shorts,” said senior defensive back Jason Wilson, who grabbed a fourth-quarter interception with his team down eight.

“It’s a little more emotional, but we just have to pick our heads up. It’s life.”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →