Three freshmen to rotate in center slot as basketball team opens season

Men’s basketball in 2014-15 is a different team now that it has added one major key ingredient: Height.

“People through the airport won’t ask what sport we play this year,” said Head Coach Keno Davis. “They’ll know we’re a basketball team. It’s funny, but you also understand where you are as a program.”

Freshmen forwards DaRohn Scott, Luke Meyer and redshirt freshman center Milos Cabarkapa will rotate for playing time at the center position this winter.

“DaRohn brings unbelievable athleticism, strength and yet has a long way to go to become a great player,” Davis said. “If the season were to start tomorrow, you’d see him in the rotation. He’s progressed that much from day one.”

CMU ranked 277 out of 345 Division I teams with a -2.8 rebounding margin in 2013-14.

“We just got beat on the boards because we didn’t have the bodies in there,” Davis said. “What do you do? You get your players stronger and you also recruit bigger and stronger players.”

Scott, Meyer and Cabarkapa are the three tallest Chippewas on this year’s squad.

“My role on the team is to bring energy,” Scott said. “Be in there, be aggressive, grab rebounds, block shots, dunk the ball, just be that energy player.”

A 2014 McDonald’s All-American nominee, Scott attended Grand Rapids Christian High School where he met CMU football player Kavon Frazier.

The junior defensive back had a hand in persuading Scott to come to CMU.

“(I talked to) a few of my friends (about the decision),” Scott said. “Kavon talked to my Mom and said (he) came here and it just felt like home.”

Scott’s new home is around the rim at McGuirk Arena.

In the meantime, Scott’s height is already benefiting the Chippewas in training camp and preseason practice.

“Our team defense is getting better because we have to guard guys like that,” Davis said. “The last couple years we didn’t have to guard anybody on the inside during practice.”

Junior forwards Blake Hibbitts and John Simons played as the center last season, but both will likely move to a more natural power forward position with the new additions.

“With Luke, Milos and DaRohn, they’re going to match up pretty well with anybody that we’re going to go against,” Simons said. 

"With Blake’s and my experience, I think that’ll help them. I don’t think that’s going to be a weak spot this year.”

Simons led the Chippewas in rebounding during the past two seasons, averaging 4.9 and 5.7 rebounds per game in 2012-13 and 2013-14 respectively.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →