Michigan Votes in Peters for Senate, Moolenaar for 4th District House

In November's midterm election, Michigan elected Gary Peters of Pontiac to the U.S. Senate, and John Moolenaar of Midland to the U.S. House of Representatives.

Peters, D-Pontiac is a Democrat who represented Michigan’s 9th district from 2009-2013. Peters is now elected to the Senate to represent Michigan. Peters served as a Lieutenant Commander in the United States Navy, and as vice president of the banking company Paine Webber.

Peters was also an instructor at Central Michigan University. From 2007-2008, he was the third Griffin Endowed Chair in American Government at CMU.

“I think Michigan definitely made the right choice. Peters will take us in the right direction, and I can’t think of anyone better to replace Carl Levin.” said Sam McNerney, President of CMU’s College Democrats Organization.

President of CMU College Republicans Otteorino Schincariol said Peters' policies will be similar to those of other Democrats, including U.S. President Barack Obama.

“Gary Peters will follow along with the Obama Agenda,” Schincariol said.

An experienced candidate, Peters has served on several committees and as the vice chairman of the Senate Finance, Education, Judiciary and Economic Development Committees. He was also a member of the Natural Resources and Mental Health and Human Services Committee.

In his campaign for senator against Terri Lynn Land R-Grand Rapids, Peters promised to make a priority of improving the situation of jobs and the economy, healthcare, and military and veterans. 

Peters’ campaign website said he is chiefly concerned with “investing in Michigan Main Street businesses," as well as "strengthening our automotive industry and expanding our agriculture." 

In terms of healthcare Peters is, “Committed to ensuring (affordable healthcare) can be relied upon for generations to come." He opposes the Republican Ryan Budget Plan. 

With regard to military veterans, as the son of a World War II veteran, and having served himself, Peters is committed to “Getting our veterans and their families the benefits they’ve earned."

Land lost the race to Peters, campaigning on the Republican platform of opposing abortion, Obamacare, and supporting the Keystone Pipeline.

John Moolenaar , R-Michigan State Senate, has represented district 36 since 2010. Moving up, Moolenaar is now the Republican representative of the 4th Congressional District, which includes Mount Pleasant.

In 2004, Moolenaar was named Legislator of the Year by the Michigan Townships Association and the Michigan Farms Bureau. Moolenaar is a graduate of Michigan’s Hope College, and earned his master’s degree in Public Administration from Harvard. 

He also served as the director of the Small Business Center at the Middle Michigan Development Corporation and an instructor at Saginaw Valley University.

“Michigan will see more jobs and less unemployment," Schincariol said. "Moolenaar will fight back against Obamacare, and help make health care a decision between you and your doctor.”

College Democrats hope Moolenaar will continue to represent Michigan well, despite defeating Democratic candidate Jeff Holmes.  

“Congratulations to Moolenaar, I hope he will represent Michigan in the best way possible," McNerney said. "Time will tell. Jeff Holmes would have been an amazing representative.” 

Jeff Holmes-D, a physician, lost to Moolenaar. Holmes campaigned on the promises of improving the Affordable Care Act, reducing government waste and costs, and improving early education standards.

Moolenaar’s past committee assignments include Outdoor Recreation and Tourism, Redistricting, Chairman of the Committee on Veterans, Military Affairs, and Homeland Security, as well as the vice-chair of the Appropriation Committee.

Moolenaar ran on the campaign promises of “restoring the American dream of economic opportunity for those who work hard."

Moolenaar promises to, “fight for a balanced budget, fight to repeal Obamacare and replace it with a better system that emphasizes accessibility and affordability." 

He also pledged to “fight to make sure our armed forces have the resources they need."