President Ross candidate for University of Nebraska presidency

ross
Daytona Niles | Staff Photographer President George Ross discusses with the Senate Higher Education committee about funding on MSU campus in their Union Building Thursday afternoon.

After four years of work as the top official at Central Michigan University, President George Ross might soon be calling a different university his home.

Ross was announced as one of four candidates in University of Nebraska's search for a new president, according to a press release issued by CMU on Monday.

"After much thought and many sleepless nights, I came to realize that sometimes, we need to be open to opportunities — even when we’re not looking, and even when our initial reaction is ‘no,’” Ross said in the release.

The announcement comes nearly a month after the president's grim, however hopeful, State of the University address, in which Ross rallied CMU faculty and staff to meet the enrollment challenges the university might  face within the next six years.

These challenges include a massive statewide decline in graduating Michigan seniors and a potential, CMU-specific enrollment decline to 17,500-20,000 students by 2020. 

Ross did not address these challenges by name in the release, but did focus on the positive accomplishments the university was able to muster this year, including a booming new freshman class.

"If it does not happen, I will remain as enthusiastic and determined as ever to lead this great university,” he said. “We have gained much ground as ‘One CMU,’ caring deeply for students, expanding our academic distinction and staying true to our brand. Those actions positioned us to attract a 27 percent larger freshman class this year.

“No matter what happens, the momentum we’ve created together will continue."

In addition, Ross' language in the release shows a deep love of CMU and a hesitation to leave.

"I did not seek this position and told the headhunter ‘no’ several times this spring and summer,” he said. “Central is home for Elizabeth and me. We love CMU, the culture and spirit here, our students and those who support them, including faculty, staff and alumni.”

According to the release, the University of Nebraska is the only public university in the state, serves a total of 50,000 students and operates on a $2.4 billion annual budget. Finance is one of Ross' specialties – he held the position of vice president of Finance and Administrative Services at CMU prior to his appointment as president in 2010.

Ross will meet with the media outlets at 4 p.m. in the Clarke Historical Library.

Follow Central Michigan Life on Twitter and Facebook for updates on this story.

About Ben Solis

Ben Solis is the Managing Editor of Central Michigan Life. He has served as a city and university ...

View Posts by Ben Solis →