Trans Week of Awareness comes to a close with vigil for community members lost

Though harsh winds chattered teeth and blown-out candles, nothing could stop Transcend from holding a candle light vigil in honor of National Trans Day of Remembrance. In front of the UC in the dark of night, members and allies alike huddled together to read off a list of 81 names – members of the trans community who have been murdered due to hate crimes over the past year.

Almost half of the individuals listed either were unnamed or could only be identified by their first name.

“It’s so critical that on the Day of Rememberance, we take time to honor those we’ve lost to transphobic violence,” said Kai Niezgoda, president of Transcend.

The list of murdered trans folk were read off by two members of Transcend. Katie, a Biology grad student who does not wished to be named so as to protect her identity, was one of the two women who read out the lists.

“I’d known about (the event) all day and I read the list before and,” she said. “Here’s where it get hard for me because I don’t know how to quantify (my emotions). I know what goes on, but I don’t know how to talk about it.”

The reading of the list then segwayed into a moment of silence for those lost. The vigil adjourned with members of the group somberly hugging each other, reflecting on Niezgoda’s words.

Sam, another member of Transcend who does not wish to be named for personal reasons, initially came because of the amount of friends that were also going to be in attendance. But when he heard the number of people lost, Sam said that he felt lucky.

“For one, I was surprised that there were so many unnamed women, but no unnamed men,” he said. “I think it’s harder for trans women because biological men are bred in society to be manly, so when they’re seen as feminine other men get intimidated and feel uncomfortable.”

Niezgoda pointed out in their preamble to the moment of silence that trans women, trans individuals of color, and undocumented trans folk were “some of the most frequent survivors” of violent hate crimes.

“As we read out the names of the (trans) community members we’ve lost this year to violence, know that it is far from complete,” Niezgoda said. “In addition to paying our respects tonight, moving forward we must actively work to create a world in which transgender people no longer suffer violence for attempting to live honest and authentic lives.”

Trans Week of Awareness will conclude tomorrow with Gender Sketch Arts and Crafts in the UC Maroon Room from 3 to 4:30 p.m.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →