CMU relying on defense to keep pace with UK

wbball
Redshirt sophomore forward Jewel Cotton dribbles down the court during the Chippewas' 72-70 victory over Massachusetts on Sunday in McGuirk Arena.

Improving on defense is going to be a top priority for the Central Michigan University women’s basketball team as they head into Saturday’s game against the Kentucky Wildcats.

The Chippewas allowed 80 points in their first and only game of the season.

“It’s the biggest thing for us,” said senior Crystal Bradford. “If we are able to win, it will be because of our defense.”

Last season, the Chippewas gave up an average of 77.3 points per game, while running head coach Sue Guevara’s traditional 2-3 zone. UK was able to exploit that zone last season when the two teams met, scoring 96 points.

With the newly implemented pack line defensive scheme still fresh in the minds of her players, Guevara said the plan has been applied in full this week in practice.

“The tape doesn’t lie,” Guevara said. “Our kids are starting to understand the footwork and positioning they did not have against UMass. We have gotten better with it, but I don’t know how much of it you are going to see of it Saturday.”

Guevara also said she and the Chippewas will attempt to turn the Wildcats into a jump shooting team. Kentucky is averaging 23 3-point shots per game this season and is shooting 30 percent from beyond the arc. UK is shooting just 43 percent from all other areas of the floor.

Cotton emerging quickly

Sophomore guard Jewel Cotton is looking to make the most of the minutes she is getting this season.

Playing a total of 361 minutes during the 2013-14 season, Cotton averaged 3.2 points per game. This season against UMass, Cotton played 31 minutes and scored 12.

“With more minutes comes more responsibility,” Cotton said. “I’m just taking that responsibility and running with it. Coach tells me all the time to not be afraid of shooting it. If I miss it, I just have to get the ball back on defense.”

Hard work in the offseason has made a substantial difference for Cotton, her coaches say.

“We call her Bam or Bambi because when she came in, she was skinny and gangly,” Guevara said. “All summer she was in the weight room and in the gym working on her game. Jewel is really easy to coach. The best part is that she is only a sophomore.”

Cotton scored a season-high 12 points and recorded seven rebounds against the Wildcats in last year’s game.

“They don’t expect us to out rebound them,” Cotton said. “It will be a test for myself to go to the glass and not allow them to own the boards.”