Chippewas runners host MAC Championship meet, fall short

xc_ck_01
Members of the CMU cross country team start the MAC championship meet Saturday at Riverwood golf course.

This year’s Central Michigan University runners are some of the best in program history, but in a field of tough competition, the Chippewas were unable to win a Mid-American Conference championship.

CMU hosted the MAC title meet for the first time since 2007 on Saturday with the men finishing in third place and the women coming in sixth.

“The MAC is not a slouch conference,” said head coach Matt Kaczor. “We all did really well, but you’ve just got a really good conference right now.”

Junior Nate Ghena and senior Abbey Kelto were first-team all-conference for CMU. Junior Silas Dekalita made second-team all-conference.

Kelto’s finishing time of 20:43 earned her seventh place overall, and also broke the CMU school record for a 6k, previously held by Raeanne Lohner.

“I wasn’t even going for the record,” Kelto said. “But I’m pretty excited about it.”

Eastern Michigan University proved untouchable on the men’s side, finishing with four men in the top seven. EMU’s team score, 23 points, was the best team score in MAC championship history.

Ghena led the CMU men, finishing sixth overall with a 24:27.

“I’m not disappointed with how I did, but I never like seeing three EMU guys in front of me,” Ghena said.

Dekalita, meanwhile, came in 13th with a time of 24:53.

“I’m definitely happy with it,” Dekalita said. “This meet was our most important meet this season.”

Senior Ben Wynsma, sophomore Spencer Nousain and junior Montes Scott finished in 22nd, 24th and 34th, respectively.

On the women’s side, junior Breanne Lesnar finished in 21st, while sophomore Michaela Bundy, freshman Hannah Davis and sophomore Katie Weiler followed in 40th, 41st and 46th, respectively.