Seniors: don't miss classic CMU activities

bucketlist

Before graduation creeps up, there are a few CMU bucket list items that should be crossed off. This includes educational and non-educational acts. After all, this is college.

Educational:

Go to MainStage- Each year, at the beginning of the school year, MainStage takes place in the Student Activity Center parking lot near Rose Pond. This event allows students to get acquainted with the clubs at CMU and local businesses.

Join an RSO- If you don’t know what RSO stands for, then definitely find out. Join a Registered Student Organization. Becoming involved with a club on campus allows you to meet with others that share an interest with you.

CMU Up All Night- During the spring semester the Office of Student Activities and Involvement and CMU Program Board host this event. “Students can play games, swim, eat and much more in the SAC from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.,” said Flint senior Kendall Young. “We get a good turn out every year.”

Attend a career fair- Each semester, academic departments host career fairs. Students need to take advantage of this. You get to meet people in your desired field and gain information to one day join them.  Seriously, just going is an experience within itself and this will benefit you in the long run.   

Non-Educational:

Attend a CMU football game- Students get in free, so why not show some school spirit? Before the game, stop by the back lots and tailgate with fellow Chippewas at home games.

Pint Night- Every Tuesday, O’Kelly’s and Wayside Central host pint night. When pints of selected beers are $2, and students come together in celebration of the cost efficiency.

Go to Wayside Central- This is the club scene in Mount Pleasant, and if you haven’t been at least once, then you need to experience it for yourself.  

“I have friends that go to Wayside frequently, and I hear funny stories about people in cages,” said Detroit junior Kerry Davis. “You are with your friends during the week, and it’s your time to wind down and have a good time for the night.”

Tube Down the Chippewa River- Once the 70-plus degree weather hits Mount Pleasant, the need to swim becomes intense. The Chip River provides the place to do it.  Go in a group or meet people there. Students should take a tube ride down the river before they leave Mount Pleasant.

Have a Jesus Dog- While out on the weekends, stop by the corner of Main and Bellows Streets. Get in line, and taste a Jesus Dog. It’s free.

Partake in Homecoming Weekend- A weekend that requires school spirit is essential to take part in. There are many Homecoming weekend festivities offered ranging from parades, tailgates, scavenger hunts and hopefully a big win.

Rivalry Weekend (CMU v. WMU)- a weekend no Chippewa should miss, especially when it’s on our home turf. Though it usually retains a heavy partying atmosphere, it's also a chance to further engage in school spirit.