CMED announces four finalists for its new dean

cmed

Central Michigan University's College of Medicine sits adjacent to the College of Health Care Professions, on the east side of campus. 

Central Michigan University's College of Medicine has announced four finalists for the next dean of CMED.

Finalists will visit in January for a series of interviews and open forums on campus as well as in Saginaw and Midland.

The finalists for the CMED's new dean are:

• Dr. Klea Bertakis, founding director of the Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care at the University of California at Davis. Interviews and meetings will take place Jan. 12-13.
  • Dr. James Herman, chair of Family and Community Medicine at the Penn State College of Medicine. Interviews and meetings are scheduled for Jan. 14-15.
  • Dr. George Kikano, founding director of the Weatherhead Institute for Family Medicine and Community Health at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. Interviews and meetings will occur Jan. 19-20.
  • Dr. Michael Iannuzzi, chair of medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University. Interviews and meetings are scheduled for Jan. 21-22.

The next dean will take over CMED, which is preparing to admit its third class. The new dean will also help finalize the college's third and fourth-year curriculum.

Director of marketing and communications for CMED, Jim Knight, said narrowing down the finalists wasn't an easy task for the search committee.

¨It was a really good field it was a really hard time pairing it down to the four, they are four fairly accomplished people,¨ Knight said. ¨Two of them are founding deans, meaning they have a lot of experience, they've done the full spectrum of what you'd expect from the dean of a college of medicine.¨

Construction continues CMED's Saginaw site, CMED East on the campus of Covenant HealthCare, which is scheduled to open in June for third-year medical students.

Plans are also in place to build a clinical space at CMED's other Saginaw partner, St. Mary's of Michigan.

The new dean will have to help oversee and make decisions in regards to these new structures, while maintaining relationships with CMED's partners for students undergoing the third and fourth-year curriculum.

Ernie Yoder, the founding dean of the College of Medicine, announced his resignation in June after four years with CMU. Linda Perkowski, who joined the College of Medicine in 2011, is serving as interim dean.