University looking to spend $11.4 million on North Quad renovations

university

North Quad residential halls could receive an overhaul during a two-year project by Facilities Management.

The proposed $11.4 million project was discussed at an informal meeting, Tuesday’s by Central Michigan University Board of Trustees. The project would see the replacement of fire alarms, fire suppression, electricity and additional safety measures in the buildings.

“This is where a lot of our freshmen first come into campus,” said Trustee Sarah Opperman. “We want it to look really good for when they get here, so it’s really god that we’re looking into it.”

Residence halls included in the North Quad are Calkins, Larzelere, Robinson, Robinson Dining and Trout Halls. All were built before the 1960s.

The project is projected to cost $4.4 million in 2015, and $7 million in 2016.

Trustees also heard an update from Facilities Management, detailing plans for completing the $95 million Biosciences Building in September 2016. Move-in is scheduled between the completion and January 2017, with classes starting that same month.

Facilities gained approval as well for a capital outlay request to fund a Center for Integrative Health Studies. Vice President of Development and External Relations Kathy Wilbur said the request would most likely not be approved after next October’s submission.

“I don’t think people should get too excited,” she said. “The chances of this getting approved by the governor are very slim at this time, especially while they’re trying to secure funding for the roads.”

Kathy Wilbur, Vice President of Development and External Relations

Facilities Management was also approved for a $5.7 million budget for deferred maintenance projects during the 2015-16 academic year.

The funding will go toward maintenance work and repair projects leftover from the year before.

“It’s a challenge, but generally we’re keeping up,” said Vice President of Facilities Management Steve Lawrence. “We’re right on the edge of funding.”

Lawrence said funding for the projects will continue to be adequate going into 2015. He said the total budget is the same as last year’s, and has remained at $5.7 million during the past few.

“The campus is not getting any younger,” Lawrence said. “We have a challenge ahead of us”

Priced at $1.8 million, Lawrence said his first priority in deferred maintenance is roofing. He said the roof of the Student Activity Center needs a new paint job, due to being metal.

Other deferred maintenance projects include adjustments to parking lots, work on seven elevators on campus, domestic water lines, and external lighting and resurfacing the tennis court.

"Deferred maintenance can prevent catastrophe," said chair William Kanine.