CMED announces open forum times and dates for four dean finalists

19107_cmeddeansearcht

As Central Michigan University's College of Medicine prepares to welcome its third class, it will also welcome a new dean. 

The finalists for the position will visit campus starting Jan. 12 for interviews and an open forum.

The candidates were chosen according to their ability to meet qualifications and agree with the values of the college and its mission to provide health care to rural areas in Michigan.

¨This college has a mission to improve health care in Michigan, but with an emphasis on under-served regions,¨ said Jim Knight, CMED director of Marketing and Communications.¨The dean has to have a personal commitment to provide practices in rural areas and maintaining relationships with the clinics we have placed all over the state.¨

The 20-member search committee, led by Ian Davison, dean of the College of Science and Technology, narrowed the field to four candidates after a national search. Davison said the committee's role was to recommend suitable candidates.

The search committee consisted of people who hold positions within the College of Medicine, including hospital partners, physicians, students and research representatives.

In mid-December, five candidates flew in and one drove to the Detroit Airport where the committee, the provost and president met and interviewed with them. 

¨Candidates need strong experience as a dean or associate dean of a medical university,” Knight said. ¨They’re going to need a lot of finance experience and communication skills.¨

Aside from academic and financial experience, the committee is looking for key characteristics to lead the college.

An emphasis on the management and guidance of the school's progressing curriculum will play a large factor in picking CMED's next dean. The prospect must understand the case-based and team-based teaching approach the college uses.

On Day One of their visit each candidate will interview for one hour at CMU. The following day they will meet for one hour at Covenant Health Care in Saginaw. The finalists have two days to hold these forums while attending meetings in Mount Pleasant and Saginaw.

The finalists and their forum dates and times include:

• Dr. Klea Bertakis, founding director of the Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care at the University of California at Davis, she will visit campus from 3:15 to 4:15 p.m. today in the Health Professions Building Room 2255. Bertakis will be in Saginaw from 7 to 8 a.m. on Jan. 13. All Saginaw forums will be held in the Covenant Anderson Lecture Theater at Covenant Health Care.
  • Dr. James Herman, chair of Family and Community Medicine at the Penn State College of Medicine. He will visit campus from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 14 in the Health Professions Building Room 2255. Herman will be at Saginaw from 7 to 8 a.m on Jan. 15 .
  • Dr. George Kikano, founding director of the Weatherhead Institute for Family Medicine and Community Health at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine he will visit campus from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 19 in Room 1404 in the main auditorium of the College of Medicine Building. Kikano will be in Saginaw from 3 to 4 p.m. on Jan. 20.
  • Dr. Michael Iannuzzi, chair of medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University. He will be visit CMU from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 21 in Room 2255 in the Health Professions Building. Iannuzzi will be in Saginaw from 7 to 8 a.m. on Jan. 22.

Six months after the resignation of founding dean Ernest Yoder, Central Michigan University's College of Medicine is poised to name his successor by the end of January.

The College of Medicine sought applications, and nominations, for the position earlier in the year after Yoder resigned in June. Yoder stepped down after leading the college for four years. He made the decision after a self assessment that considered he could provide CMED in the future. Yoder said it was time for a leadership change as the college enters its new stages of development.