COLUMN: Enos’ departure presents opportunity to escape mediocrity

111118_cmuvtoledo_fb_10
Sean Proctor/Staff Photographer Head coach Dan Enos discusses the season during the post-game press conference Friday night at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. Toledo defeated CMU 44-17.

Fans have been clamoring to “Fire Enos” practically since he arrived in Mount Pleasant. They got the next best thing Thursday when Enos shocked the CMU community with his resignation.

As Enos leaves for Arkansas to take over as the offensive coordinator, the CMU head football coaching position lays vacant with less than two weeks until National Signing Day.

CMU Athletic Director Dave Heeke talked about the “tremendous opportunity” the job is for potential suitors. But even more so, the same can be said for the football program.

The statistics can be changed up to show the positive side of Enos’ tenure. Three straight seasons of bowl eligibility. Wins over Purdue, Northern Illinois and Iowa.

But ultimately, the Chippewas were trapped in mediocrity.

The team might struggle as it rebuilds with a new coach, but the result has to be higher than a fourth-place finish in the MAC West.

Under Dan Enos, the Chippewas looked like they would be consistently good, but never great.

He did help develop sophomore quarterback Cooper Rush and put confidence in him even as a freshman, but Enos also had Titus Davis, Thomas Rawls and an experienced offensive line. The offensive production wasn’t up to par.

The defense claimed to be the best in the MAC, but when it really mattered in games against Western Michigan and Western Kentucky, they fell short.

Whether it’s Brady Hoke or Cody Kater, the next football coach at Central Michigan will bring optimism to a skeptical fan base. The same fan base Enos repeatedly looked down upon, saying they didn’t know what they were talking about.

No matter how you slice it, a pair of 3-9 seasons followed by three six-loss seasons won’t cut it.

For many fans, it’s a dream come true. Enos is gone. The coaching search has started.

And a new era of Chippewa football has officially begun.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →