COLUMN: Let Fowler do his thing

mainmbball
Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Junior guard Chris Fowler looks for a pass Saturday against Eastern Michigan at McGuirk Arena. The Chippewas defeated the Eagles, 65-51.

It is easy to say Chris Fowler is the undisputed leader of Central Michigan University’s men’s basketball team. Trouble is, that does not quite do him, or his teammates, justice.

Fowler is the reason you go to McGuirk Arena. The Chippewas’ junior point guard can take over a game or allow a teammate to do so.

While he is at the top of most offensive categories for the team, Fowler’s innate leadership abilities on the court are only seen when one pays close attention to all roughly 35 minutes he plays each game.

When the ball is in Fowler’s hands, possibilities are endless.

He can drive through the lane, draw contact and hit the floor for a pair of free-throw shots. Standing at the top of the key, Fowler passes the ball to CMU 3-point shooting standouts John Simons and Josh Kozinski.

Maybe Fowler will even hold onto the ball long enough for a play to develop so he can find one of CMU’s big men in the low post for an easy layup or slam dunk in the paint.

Whatever Fowler has decided to do with the ball this season, good things have been happening to the Chippewas. This is apparent when considering their 14-4 (4-3 MAC) record thus far, including an undefeated effort at home.

It is important for every basketball team, whether at the collegiate or professional level, to have a dependable and fearless point guard. The Chippewas have that in Fowler.

CMU is lucky to have him. Knowing he will be taking center stage for another season, puts a safety net around this team.

Fowler is the lane in which CMU’s offense must travel through if they expect to score points consistently.

This aggressive offensive style implemented by Head Coach Keno Davis has yet to fail the Chippewas this season.

Just because there is a handful of losses spaced in between streaks of winning does not mean this system is failing; it proves no one is perfect, not even Fowler.

If it is not broke, then do not try to fix it. Keep your hands off and let the man do his thing.