Move-in week sees increase in campus residents this year

ddc_9507_11503
Megan Mediema and Kamrynn Weber, Freshman, moves back into the towers after christmas break, Monday, January 12, 2015.

In the winter, students packed their belongings, leaving their closets empty, desks cleared and drawers cleaned out. 

They left to enjoy a month off of school, but for some that month went by quickly and spring move-in day was here before they knew it.

To kick off the spring semester, move-in day started Sunday at 9 a.m. Adding to the thousands of kids that already live in the dorms, 191 new students moved into the residence halls for spring 2015.

Ben Sobczak, a sophomore from Bad Axe living in Beddow Hall is excited to be back on campus to resume his hall activities.

“I am excited to start hall council up again and hopefully get some new residents and staff involved,” Sobczak said. “We had close to a dozen new/transfer students move in so it will be great to reach out to them and get to know them better.”

Sobczak is hall council president as well as a desk associate. He said he was able to avoid the move in hustle and bustle and move in early to attend a seminar that was presented by ResLife.

“I love the atmosphere and the warm welcome I feel on campus,” he said. “I'm really excited to see all my friends again and to make new ones in the classes that I have. Beddow also got two new RA's and it will be great to meet them.”

While Beddow isn’t necessarily crowded, according to Sobczak it is generally full.

“It's nice to see everyone and interact with such a diverse population of students,” Sobczak said. “I would rather have it crowded than empty.”

Liz Golz, a sophomore from Muskegon lives in Calkins hall on North Campus and moved in on the assigned move in day.

“It wasn't super busy but North Campus is always a little bit less busy,” Golz said.

Golz is happy to be back in the residence halls because of the people and atmosphere that surround her.

“This semester I am excited to continue making friendships and working hard in my classes,” she said.

Resident Assistant Jody Pierce and Harrison Township senior, moved in in Monday, Jan. 5, avoiding the spring move-in crowd.

Although a few people left Pierce’s hall, she says that it’s still crowded this semester.

“I'm really happy to see this influx in students choosing to live in the residence halls. I feel that living on campus can have a really positive impact on students' sense of community and overall happiness while at school,” Pierce said.

Besides being an RA, Pierce is also heavily involved in hall council.

“It's such an easy and fun way to be an active member of the residence life community and stay informed with events happening within my specific hall, different halls on campus, and things in the Mount Pleasant community as a whole. “ she said.

Pierce is most excited to see herself grow, along with the other residents in her hall, as individuals.

“I think that while being at an institution like CMU it is equally important to focus on your personal growth in addition to your academic growth,” Pierce said. “CMU really understands the value behind this thinking and therefore many students here reap the benefits of the efforts the university puts towards this particular value.”