SGA to add members after first meeting of semester

img_0015_copy

Student Government Association President Chuck Mahone speaks at the SGA meeting Monday, Jan. 26, 2015 in Pearce hall. 

Up to 70 new representatives could be joining the Student Government Association, after Monday's meeting, according to SGA officials.

The semester’s first meeting brought many new faces to SGA, said Membership Officer Teal Olson, though it's too early for a complete headcount. 

“It’s really hard to say because a lot of new organizations haven’t figured out who their main (representative) is going to be,” Olson said. “Just from emails I have roughly 50 to 70 new members (attending).”

Regardless of new or old membership status, all SGA members are still required to fill out the required membership applications each semester in order to be able to represent their RSOs at SGA meetings. 

Representatives vote on legislation and initiatives to pass through the SGA house to receive support and possible funding through the organization.

“The membership form just gives (SGA) an idea who the main representative is, as well as the proxy who is in attendance that week,” Olson said. “Because we do have absences we have to know for the committees.”

If individuals obtained a certain amount of absences, they could be disallowed from voting on important SGA legislation.

Chuck Mahone, president of SGA, said membership forms this semester had become easier to fill out in an attempt to “try to make it as simple as possible,” to become a member.

All organizations aiming to join SGA simply have to “want (a representative),” Mahone said, to be able to participate in SGA events, and discussions. 

“They have to meet, create an executive board position (for SGA representative) throughout their organization, and then they have to elect someone to that,” Mahone said. “Then they just have to come to the meeting, fill out our membership forms, and they’re a full-fledged member.”

Vice President of SGA Mariah Urueta said that the benefits of electing an SGA representative to an RSO’s eBoard enabled student organizations to receive financial benefits, and have a say in legislation passed.

“If (an) RSO ever wanted to do any kind of project or go on a conference, and they cannot apply for SBAC — the Student Budget Allocation Committee — or any sort of SBAC funding unless they have an SGA representative,” Urueta said. “Also (RSO’s) have a say in legislation that is brought forth in SGA and they are able to introduce legislation if they want.”

Students and RSO’s interested in attending SGA are still able to be a part of the organization.

SGA’s next meeting will be held at 8 p.m., Feb. 2 in Anspach Hall 162.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →