52nd Siblings Weekend provides bonding for students away from home

sibsbreif
Morgan Taylor | Staff Photographer Ann Arbor resident John Burnia, 7, takes a turn at the wrecking ball inflatable at the Sibs Weekend carnival in the SAC on Saturday night. The wrecking ball is a new addition to the carnival this year.

To address the separation from family members when students are away at college, the office of Student Activities and Involvement host it’s annual Siblings Weekend, starting at 3 p.m. Friday Jan. 30, and continuing through Feb. 1. 

In its 52nd year, Siblings Weekend will host events and activities in Finch Fieldhouse and the Student Activity Center. 

On Friday, students can take their siblings for registration in Finch Fieldhouse starting at 3 p.m. to collect all the materials needed for the weekend. 

Beginning at 3 p.m., siblings will be able to enter the SAC for free and bowling will be available until 11 p.m. 

Starting at 5 p.m. laser tag will be offered in Finch. 

Other events offered on Friday include bingo in the SAC,and open rock wall climbing in Finch.

That night's "kick off" event will feature ventriloquist and comedian Lynn Trefzger preforming at 7 p.m. in Plachta Auditorium.

Saturday will begin with a pancake breakfast served at 8 a.m in Finch. Throughout the day, siblings can participate in movies, a talent show and watch the CMU women’s basketball game as the Chippewas face Ohio at 1 p.m. in McGuirk Arena.

There is also a talent show taking place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Bovee University Center's Student Lounge.

The highlight of Saturday will be a carnival taking place in the SAC. The carnival will be held from 2 to 6 p.m. and will feature inflatables, games and crafts.

During the last day, bowling will be available until 11 p.m.

Late registration will be allowed until Friday. A full list of events is also available online.