The Central Michigan Life sports staff picks the Super Bowl

opinion

This weekend millions of National Football League fans will tune into NBC to watch the Seattle Seahawks take on the New England Patriots.

The Seahawks, defending Super Bowl champions and winners of their last eight games come into the matchup as slight favorites. Meanwhile, New England demolished the competition in the American Football Conference title game en route to professional sports’ biggest stage.

Here is who members of the Central Michigan Life sports desk think will win Sunday’s showdown IN Phoenix:

Dominick Mastrangelo Sports Editor

Though I can’t stand Marshawn Lynch’s antics with the media and realize the undeniable fact that the Patriots are perennial Super Bowl winners, I’ve got Seattle in this one. Pete Carroll is a genius. He proved that when he ran away from a mess at USC. Bill Belecheat thinks these rules don’t apply to him. That was made painfully obvious this week.

Seattle, baby: Stronger defense, less egomaniacal quarterback, better chowder soup. No dancing for Gronk this year.

Boston sports suck, anyway.

FINAL: Seattle 28, New England 20

Joe Judd Staff Reporter

Skittles and deflated footballs aside, The well-oiled machine that is the New England Patriots offense will be too much for the Seattle Seahawks to handle.

Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch and company will ultimately offer a valiant effort rushing the ball that could trip up New England’s defense.

Despite this, Seattle’s club will not outscore Tom Brady. I don’t expect the game to be a blowout, but I do expect the Patriots to eventually run away with it.

FINAL: New England 38, Seattle 21

Taylor DesOrmeau Staff Reporter

It seems as if neither team should be an “underdog” in Sunday’s Super Bowl XLIX. The Seahawks are coming off a dominant Super Bowl victory last year and the Patriots are playing in their sixth Super Bowl in 14 seasons.

While the wet and noisy confines of Century Link Field fit perfectly for Seattle’s ground and pound offensive and stiff defense, the University of Phoenix Stadium will cater to the quarterbacks. You saw what the Bahamas did for Cooper Rush.

I’ve picked against Tom Brady before.

I picked the Giants to upset the Patriots on my school TV news program in Super Bowl XLII in Arizona and got lucky thanks to Eli Manning and David Tyree. But this time will be different for Brady, Rob Gronkowski and the newly acquired workhorse LaGarrette Blount.

Luck only goes so far. Just ask Indianapolis.

FINAL: New England 27, Seattle 21.

Neil Rosan Staff Reporter

The New England Patriots will get out to a fast start, but their lack of a receiving threat besides tight end Rob Gronkowski will hurt them.

Seattle's defense allows an average of 200 passing yards per game and will be too strong in the second half.

Russell Wilson will make the necessary plays down the stretch, and the Seahawks will repeat as Super Bowl champs.

FINAL: Seattle 30, New England 27

Greg Wickliffe Staff Reporter

Defense wins championships. Although the New England Patriots have improved physically, the Seattle Seahawks’ defense will be too much to handle.

Tom Brady does not like to be hit, and the Seahawks have arguably the best defense in the last decade. Seattle will be too physical on defense, and too “beast mode” on offense.

FINAL: Seattle 31, New England 27.

Cody DeBona Staff Reporter

This Super Bowl I am hoping for more of a game than last year’s Bronco breakdown. 2015 will be different with the amount of playoff and championship experience on both sides.

The quarterback with more experience will add another to his trophy case: Tom Brady. His Patriots will defeat the Seahawks and Brady leaves in a new car once again.

FINAL: New England 31, Seattle 24

Ian Ashbury Staff Reporter

This year in my Fantasty Football league, Tom Brady was my starting quarter-back. I watched almost every New England Patriots game this year, and against my better judgment became a fan,  … sort of.

I will be rooting for Tom Brady and the Patriots despite the Deflate-gate nonsense, which has ESPN foaming at the mouth. Also, you could not pay me to root for Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman.

FINAL: New England 24, Seattle 17

Evan Sasiela Staff Reporter

The Patriots are a NFL power and their offense led by quarterback Tom Brady and tight end Rob Gronkowski should put up points. However, the team’s recent “Deflate-gate” has provided adversity to an already tough two weeks leading up to the big game.

The Seahawks’ mixture of personalities has made them a team to fall in love with. From the humble quarterback Russell Wilson, to the silent running back Marshawn Lynch and the outspoken defensive back Richard Sherman, this team is going for their second straight Super Bowl win. Their strong defense and run game should give them an edge.

FINAL: Seattle 34, New England 24

Mark Cavitt Staff Reporter

It might be as simple as getting a pick six. Teams that have done that are 12-0 in the Super Bowl.

Forget about “deflate-gate”. The only things that will be deflated are the Seahawks’ egos after this one.

The Patriots will get the job done despite the controversy. Sorry Seattle. You won’t be the eighth team in NFL history to win back-to-back championships. I’ve got the Patriots in a nail-biter.

FINAL: New England 28, Seattle 24.