Leadership Institute to award $8,000 to high school students

mainleadership

Lake Orion freshmen Taylor Brown speaks with Leadership Institute Office Assistant Elkton freshman Connor Ewald about LAS course work on Jan. 15.

Dan Gaken, director of the Leadership Institute, is well aware of the need for young and innovative leaders to take charge across the world. 

Awarding $8,000 to 40 high school seniors across the nation for distinguishing themselves through their records of service and leadership, the institute offers its Leader Advancement Scholarship each year.

Registration for this year ends Saturday, Jan 31. 

“If we take a look right now across all the industries, we have aging leadership," Gaken said. "Many companies tell us there isn’t enough leadership in their organization for when this generation retires. We are currently meeting the need for the deficit of leadership.”

Other programs at the Leadership Institute include the Alpha Leadership Experience and The LeaderShape Institute, among other networking events and conferences. 

Chesterfield senior Danielle Cywka, one of two LeaderShape Institute coordinators, said students do not need a leadership minor or a Leader Advancement scholarship to participate. 

“Being a leader doesn’t mean being on top or in charge," she said. "It’s about taking the initiative or doing something you are passionate about. Little things are leadership. Even if you don’t see yourself as a leader on campus but have an interest in it, then LeaderShape can help you see what is possible.”

Applications for LeaderShape are available through February, and the event will run from May 10 to 15, at an off-campus venue. 

“You create a big vision that you want to see happen,” she said. “My leadership vision was centered toward feminism and women equal rights and I wanted to push things on campus with women’s empowerment week. The program allowed me to see myself grow.”

One of three Alpha Leadership Experience coordinators, Farmington Hills senior Caroline Powers, a participant since her freshman year, said the program can benefit students in all areas of study.

Powers said there are four styles of leadership: direct, systematic, spirited and compassionate. She said that everyone has a leadership style within them, and some can have more than one.

“Leadership at Central means having the opportunity to showcase your unique talents and abilities to lead others through your actions and words,” she said. “No matter what your major or minor is on campus, no matter if you are a freshman or senior graduating in May, the things you will learn about your leadership style and others leadership style will help you in the future.”

Students can register online now for LeaderShape at cmich.edu/ess/leadership/Pages/leadershape.aspx) and for the Alpha Leadership Experience at cmich.edu/ess/leadership/Pages/alpha.aspx).