Assistants hopeful for change with Bonamego as head coach

pp
The crowd applause Coach Bonamego during his speech at his first press confrence with CMU Feb. 9 in the Events Center Atrium.

Members of the Central Michigan University assistant coaching staff said John Bonamego brings a sense of optimism to the team after going through National Signing Day as the only Division I team without a coach.

When former Head Coach Dan Enos resigned, defensive coordinator Joe Tumpkin and offensive line coach Butch Barry left CMU for other opportunities.

They watched Bonamego’s emotional introductory press conference on Monday, during which he preached faith, family and football. Defensive line coach George Ricumstrict and wide recievers coach Mose Rison have been rehired by Bonamego.

“It’s more than just being a Chippewa,” Ricumstrict said. “I know what (Bonamego) is about as a man and as a leader, so I’m very excited about (his hire).”

Ricumstrict has been a member of the Chippewas assistant coaching staff since the 2013 season. He has coached Chippewas linebackers and special teams units from 2000-03, his first stint on CMU’s staff.

Ricumstrict said going through signing day without a head coach was challenging.

“It was important to put together a good recruiting class whether I was going to be here or not,” he said. “We just wanted the program to stay strong.”

Rison has held his position for three seasons and was a running back on CMU’s 1972 Division II National Championship Team.

“You could see (Bonamego’s) passion up on that stage,” Rison said. “The love for this institution, the fact that he wanted to be back here so bad.”

Rison said current CMU football players were puzzled about the future of the program in the days following Enos’ resignation.

“A lot of the student athletes were confused and they weren’t sure of who their coaches were going to be,” Rison said. “They had a lot of caution and they all wanted to know.”

The players now have a foundation and a message to follow, Rison said.

“I think a lot of our student-athletes are at ease now,” he said. “They know their coach is going to be around.”