Despite lack of awareness among new students, SGA strives to lead

main_sga
Student Government Association member Julius Cantuba proposes a question to a prospective senate member on Feb. 2 in Anspach Hall.

Many newcomers to Central Michigan University have a limited knowledge of what the Student Government Association does for them. 

“I know nothing about SGA other than the fact that they probably deal with student issues, like funding RSOs,” said Macomb freshman Mikala Smith.

Since 1920, SGA has worked to affect policy at Central Michigan University by drafting legislation that is sent to the CMU Board of Trustees as a proposal. 

Trustees then evaluate the proposals, and decide if a change or additional policy is necessary. 

Also hosting community projects and initiatives along with writing legislation, SGA President Chuck Mahone said the organization aims to play an active role in the university's policy and community.

“Our purpose is to give students an avenue to have their thoughts, opinions, and concerns heard,” Mahone said. “There might be a student who has a really great idea, but if no other people hear about it, it’s not going to go anywhere. That’s what (SGA) is there for.”

Although any student can create legislation, only SGA representatives or senators can bring the bill before the house for voting.

Mariah Urueta, vice president of SGA, said by using operating procedures influenced by Robert’s Rules of Order, a 19th Century text that dictates British Parliamentary procedures, SGA enables full transparency in all the legislation that it drafts. 

“Once you have (an idea) in paperwork that your certain cause or your change has been passed through SGA, it doesn’t mean that anything will be enacted right away,” Urueta said. “It is then that person’s responsibility to take it to administration to make a case for (the legislation).”

Both Mahone and Urueta hope to dispel the idea that the student voice is not heard by administration and that individuals cannot make a change on campus.

“We do have an influence on school policy,” Mahone said. “If (administrators) see that the student body and the SGA, which represents students, is vehemently opposed to something and we feel that it does have a negative impact on our students, they’ll think twice about that policy.”

He said that the reverse is also true. When administrators see students are in favor of an initiative or program, as illustrated by SGA sponsored legislation, those in positions of power are much more likely to listen to the student voice.

Mahone pointed to a piece of SGA legislation which passed last semester, asking for the removal of student home addresses and phone numbers from the student directory. 

Since people felt it was an invasion of privacy, administrators have given students the opportunity to leave their address unlisted in the directory.

“That (change) came directly from SGA hearing the concern of a student, a student who wasn’t able to be loud enough by themselves, and then taken to administration,” Mahone said. “And (administration) followed suit with that.”

As an organization by students and for students, both Mahone and Urueta said that their ultimate goal is to see a successful student body that can make a difference in their community."

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →