Junior Travis White pursues leadership roles in student organizations aimed at social issues

2_travis
Junior Travis White from Farwell, MI has created multiple RSO's on campus during his time at Central Michigan University, LeadershipInstitute, Thursday, January 22.Taryn Wattles | Assistant Photo Editor

Finding the medallion during his first two years at the university isn’t the only achievement Travis White will leave Central Michigan University with.

"I always try and stay involved around campus," White said. "Searching for the medallion was right up my alley."

A sociology major, with a concentration in criminal justice, the Farwell junior followed clues as if a detective, but never forgot about the needs of his fellow students. 

After arriving at CMU in the fall of 2012, White began identifying and responding to those needs. He founded his first registered student organization, Breaking the Silence, while still in high school.

White established two more student organizations: A Letter for Better in 2012 and Collegiate Advocates for the Rights of Marine Animals in 2014. 

“I believe that all of my organizations are advocacy groups in some way,” he said. “We try to make (students) look at the bigger picture of what is going on.”

In high school, White was president of his own anti-bullying organization. Exposing students to social issues was something White felt the need to continue in college. 

After acquiring a Leader Advancement Scholarship the summer before his freshman year, White was contacted by Leadership Institute Director Dan Gaken, to whom White proposed his plan for Breaking the Silence.

Since then, Gaken and White became allies, taking on the titles of president and adviser, for all three of White’s founded organizations.

Gaken said there is a lot of power in something that’s "true or that has a strong message," and Travis had just that.

“You know you think about your first Welcome Weekend, when everyone’s going to Mainstage to sign up for groups or grab a free slice of pizza, well here is Travis who hasn’t even gone to class yet," Gaken said. "He already has a student organization ready to go, asking people to help him take this issue forth."

Breaking the Silence, White said was created to draw connections between the "misunderstood and the general public who misunderstands them." The organization's core goal is to utilize speech and raise self-esteem, as a cure to social and mental illnesses.

Leading for change

A Letter for Better is an organization where members write letters and send them to strangers, in a gesture of kindness. 

“Helping others in general is something I'm extremely passionate about,” White said. “These organizations give me a creative way to give back to those around me and those that are unable to speak for themselves. The feeling you get knowing you possibly made somebody's day, is indescribable and that's why I do what I do.”

A Letter for Better obtains addresses from a public database and writes letters, without knowing a single thing about the people they are sent to.  

Vice President and Flushing sophomore Kaitlyn Cox said she joined the organization because she loved the idea of sending letters to people to brighten their day.

“This community, and world, could all use a little more positivity and ALFB brings to light how one little letter can change someone’s day,” Cox said. “Travis has done so much to make this RSO thrive and grow. He really got this RSO off the ground and made it international.”

Also working alongside White, CARMA Vice President and Grosse Point senior Rachel Ochylski said she joined CARMA because it is the first and only organization on campus that advocates for the rights of marine animals.

“I am confident many people are aware of the issues at hand, but Travis decided to take action by forming three RSO's,” Ochylski said. “Travis is extremely organized, passionate, and sociable. He is also a great public speaker, and never hesitates in front of large groups.”

White still presides over A Letter for Better and CARMA. By the end of the year, he plans to hold elections and elect new presidents. White said when he graduates next year, he needs to make sure the organizations are still up and running by his the executive board. 

A main part of leading, Gaken said, is knowing that it’s okay to not always be in charge, because any collaborative enterprise can advance a cause.

“I am proud to see these organizations haven’t been all about him, but been about the issue,” Gaken said. "He has that drive, where if there ever is that need, he is going to take action."

All three groups aim toward changing and enhancing lives. Whether it be people or marine animals, White has provided a voice for those who do not have one.

“Everybody deserves to have a better day,” White said. “Since I stepped foot on campus, my eyes have opened up to see the broader picture and see that the personal, closed world that I was living in when I was in high school is not the one that's going to better society."