A Shift in Culture : Students react to men’s hoops success

main_cc
Students cheer during the Northern Illinois game, Feb 18 at McGuirk Arena. Central Michigan University went on to win the game 68-66.

During Central Michigan University’s last three Saturday home games the men's basketball team drew crowds of 4,041, 4,403 and 5,350 fans respectively, averaging 4,598 fans per game in that stretch.

This is a level of popularity the team hasn’t experienced in more than a decade.

The program has not seen a winning season since former head coach Jay Smith led the Chippewas to the second round of the NCAA Tournament during the 2002-03 season.

Twelve years and two coaching changes later, the 2014-15 team has a legitimate chance be a part of the March Madness, and lift the program to the national stage.

The Chippewas are 19-5 overall, 9-4 in Mid-American Conference competition. The team occupies the first-place spot in the MAC West division.

The feeling around campus is largely one of excitement and optimism. Students are coming out to support the team more than in the past.

“When you’re at 80 to 100 percent capacity, that’s when you know you’re a program that’s going to continue to go forward,” Head Coach Keno Davis said. “Hopefully they’ll make a commitment to come out more because it’s a lot of fun.”

Some students have already made that commitment.

“I’ve gone to the last four home games and I’ve seen the crowd grow,” said sophomore Jacob Soehlke of Lagrange Park, Ill. “The first game I went to, they didn’t even give away all of the T-shirts. Now you have to show up an hour early to get one.”

Tim Folmar, a current student former member of the CMU basketball band, now called the “Sixth Man Band.” He remembers the Chippewas’ 10-21 overall finish in 2011.

“It’s been explosive watching how everything is going on from the fans to the band to the team itself,” said the Cadillac graduate student. Everyone seems to be reaching that next level and pushing and driving for it.”

This men’s basketball team’s performance has transformed Mount Pleasant into a town that pays attention to what is happening on the hardwood.

“It’s exciting to see that more people have pride,” said junior Ali Fonz of Bay City. “We have been doing so well and it’s nice to see so much school spirit.”

Sophomore Tricia Dwyer said she has seen a drastic change in how the Chippewas are followed, both in person and on the Internet.

“Last year I didn’t really hear negative or positive (opinions) about the team,” said Dwyer of Saginaw. “This year they’ve been blowing up on social media and everyone’s freaking out about how good the team is.”

The Chippewas say they are thankful for the students’ support this season.

“We expect to have their energy behind us the whole time,” junior forward John Simons said. “It makes it that much more fun to play in. It makes it easier to go on a run.”

Davis said strong support from the campus and local fans helped the Chippewas open the season with 12 consecutive home wins.

The feeling of excitement has spread outside of campus. Bennett Raymond is a 16-year-old Mount Pleasant High School student who has followed the team through tough times.

“I love how (CMU is) playing right now,” Raymond said. “I like how (the Chippewas) shoot threes. “(The atmosphere) is a lot better than it has been the past couple of years.”

CMU’s next home game is against Ball State University at 4:30 p.m. Saturday.