Comparing the schedules: CMU and Toledo men's basketball

stats_mbb
Guard Braylon Rayson, passes to a teammate during the Northern Illinois game, Feb 18 at McGuirk Arena. Central Michigan University went on to win the game 68-66.

With five games left to play in the men’s basketball Mid-American Conference regular season, Central Michigan University and Toledo University sit atop the MAC West standings, tied at 9-4.

The Chippewas control their own destiny in the MAC West and picking up a top four seed for March’s MAC Tournament, but junior forward John Simons said the team still checks in on conference opponents.

“As much as we try not to look ahead, as much as we try not to watch the scores, we know,” Simons said. “We also know that we also have to go take care of business by ourselves. The rest will control itself.”

Head Coach Keno Davis isn’t counting out the rest of the MAC West, including a Western Michigan team that lurks two games out of first place.

“It might come down to us and Toledo,” Davis said. “It wouldn’t surprise me if those teams that are third or fourth make a run.”

While winning the MAC West would be an honor for the Chippewas after finishing in fifth place the past three seasons, earning a higher seed for the tournament would be a bigger achievement.

The top two seeds receive a bye to the semi-final while the three and four seeds get a first-round bye. Seeds five through eight host seeds nine through 12 in the first round of the tournament.

Winning the division won’t guarantee the Chippewas a top four seed.

“I think the idea now is not only to take it game by game, but also, what seed can we be?” Davis said. “The better seed you have, the better position you put yourself in going into the conference tournament.”

CMU, Toledo, Bowling Green and Kent State are tied for the best record in the MAC with Akron sitting one game back. CMU and Toledo will play in the second-to-last game of the regular season March 3 at McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan (19-5, 9-4 MAC)

Sat. vs. Ball State (7-17, 2-11 MAC) at 4:30 p.m.

Tuesday at Eastern Michigan (16-10, 5-8 MAC) at 7 p.m.

Feb. 28 at Northern Illinois (10-14, 4-9 MAC) at 8 p.m.

March 3 vs. Toledo (17-9, 9-4 MAC) at 7 p.m.

March 6 at Western Michigan (16-10, 7-6 MAC) at 7 p.m.

Toledo (17-9, 9-4 MAC)

Sat. at Western Michigan (16-10, 7-6 MAC) at 2 p.m.

Tuesday vs. Northern Illinois (10-14, 4-9 MAC) at 7 p.m.

Feb. 28 vs. Ball State (7-17, 2-11 MAC) at 7 p.m.

March 3 at Central Michigan (19-5, 9-4 MAC)

March 6 at Eastern Michigan (16-10, 5-8 MAC) at 7 p.m.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →