​Rawls, Davis, Walton show skills at NFL Combine

footballtitus_celebration_gc_01
Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Senior wide receiver Titus Davis points to the crowd after a touchdown scoring play Saturday against Ohio at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. Davis caught two touchdowns and had 181 receiving yards in the Chippewas' Homecoming victory, 28-10.

Three former Chippewas received grades from nfl.com above a 5.3 at the NFL Combine, meaning they have NFL backup or special teams potential.

The only time Central Michigan had three players drafted in the same season was 2007, when Joe Staley, Daniel Bazuin and Drew Mormino were taken in the first, second and sixth rounds.

The NFL draft is April 30-May 2 in Chicago.

Thomas Rawls, running back

Rawls had the highest grade of the three Chippewas, receiving a 5.5 from nfl.com. A score of 5.5-5.99 is the range where the player has the potential to “become an NFL starter.”

He finished 27th among running backs in the 40-yard dash with a 4.65 second time. He placed 15th among backs in the vertical jump with a 35.5-inch jump.

According to Lance Zierlein on nfl.com, “If you don’t bring it to him, he will bring it to you.” Zierlein also cited his fumbling as one of Rawls’ main drawbacks.

Overall, Zierlein said he’s more than capable of handling an NFL workload and has a similar running style to Ahmad Bradshaw from the Indianapolis Colts.

One NFL running backs coach said Rawls has what they’re looking for, although he has his shortcomings.

Titus Davis, wide receiver

Davis had a 5.4 grade from nfl.com, with his route running highlighting his skills.

His lack of speed was noted, as he finished 21st among wide receivers with a 4.51 40-yard dash time.

Davis told mlive.com “Coming in here, I knew I had a lot to prove," Davis said. "I look at myself as a sleeper in this draft and in this group of wide receivers. I'm just looking to make a name for myself when I leave here."

He cited former Chippewas Antonio Brown and top overall pick Eric Fisher as players who have proven Mid-American Conference players can perform in the NFL.

Zierlein compares Davis to Miami Dolphins receiver Brian Hartline.

Leterrius Walton, defensive tackle

Walton received a 5.36 grade from nfl.com, while recording consistent numbers finishing in the top 20 in nearly every category and finishing 21st in the 40-yard dash.

According to Zierlein, the 6-5, 319-pound tackle needs more upper body mass to become successful in pro football. One NFL scout predicts Walton to be a sleeper in the league.

“I have a feeling he's going to be one of those guys who ends up being an NFL player that nobody sees coming,” an AFC West scout said. “He was a baseball and basketball player, which means he has good hands and feet. More coaching might be able to unlock an NFL player."

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →