SGA Forum kicks off the start of 2015 election process

dsc_0904_2

Student Government Association Elections Director Josh Palmer opens the Elections Forum on Feb. 16, 2015 in Anspach Hall. 

To begin the 2015 election season, Central Michigan University's Student Government Association hosted an election forum during its regularly scheduled meeting Monday, Feb. 16. 

SGA leaders announced a list of seats that will be open to students. Among the open seats were president and vice president on a single ticket, treasurer and more than 20 senators.

The forum covered the process for running. Representatives of each open post also took questions from the audience about their duties in SGA.

Elections Director Josh Palmer opened the forum explaining packets containing election guidelines.

“The election packet explains all the rules according to the bylaws for what it’s like to be an unofficial candidate,” Palmer said. “Unofficial candidate means that you are looking to run for the position, but it is not yet past the filing deadline."

All applications must be turned into the elections director mailbox in the basement of the Bovee University Center, 104G in the Student Involvement Center by noon Feb. 27.

Candidates will be announced March 2.

Students interested in running for either president or vice president must have a minimum 3.0 grade point average and acquire 500 signatures of support. 

Treasurer candidates are required to have at least a 2.5 GPA and 250 signatures. Senators must have a 2.0 GPA and need no support signatures in order to be eligible for election.

SGA Senator Rebecca Detroyer spoke at length about what it means to be a senator.

“You hold three office hours a week as a senator and that’s divided up amongst talking to people on your committee and projects,” Detroyer said. “Senators work on projects which can make campus a better place or something that they’re really passionate about. The Senate Leader will help you make progress.”

Past projects SGA senators enacted include petitioning to place pencil sharpeners in a hall which didn't have any, and launching an educational campaign around Halloween advocating against wearing racist costumes.

SGA President Chuck Mahone reminded students though the election process may be tough, it is an excellent way for an individual to “get their feet wet” in the realm of politics. He warned students of difficulties individuals might face while running for president.

“This is not a position to be taken lightly,” Mahone said. “You represent every single person that calls themselves a Chippewa and that’s something you need to do wholeheartedly.”

Students who were unable to make Monday’s election forum can find the paperwork to apply on the SGA Orgsync site. All students are eligible to run for a position.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →