Softball, baseball begin seasons

athletics

Softball begins season with tight games, baseball prepares for opening weekend

Softball

Central Michigan University softball started its season this weekend with four games and four late-inning losses in the Rosemont Tournament in Rosemont, Ill.

The Chippewas took a 7-6 lead into the bottom of the sixth inning against Samford before allowing nine runs and falling by the mercy rule 15-7.

After scoring two runs Saturday against Syracuse in the bottom of the sixth inning to tie the game, Syracuse responded with a run in the seventh to steal back the win 3-2. The only run scored in the evening game against Western Illinois in the fifth when the Chippewas had two errors and allowed two hits.

More heartbreak came Sunday, as CMU couldn’t hold onto a 5-0 lead in the fifth inning against the University of Illinois-Chicago. UIC scored one in the fifth, two in the sixth and walked off in the bottom in the seventh with a pair of runs.

Freshman pitcher Hanna Warren was 0-2 on the weekend, but led the Chippewas with a 3.86 earned run average, a complete game and an opponent batting average of .229.

The Chippewas will play five games next weekend in the San Diego Tournament.

Baseball

Central Michigan University baseball starts its season this weekend with four games against Florida Gulf Coast in Fort Myers, Fla.

The Chippewas play one game Friday, a doubleheader Saturday and one game Sunday. The team will play games in Florida, Texas, Kansas and Indiana before playing its home opener against Ohio Friday, March 20 at 3:05 p.m.

at Theunissen Stadium.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →