Student Success Centers provide advantages for student residents

Students attend academic advising walk-in hours at the Towers Student Success Center located in Kesseler Hall on the campus of Central Michigan University on Wednesday, January 14, 2014.

When Stephanie Raymond needed help managing her busy class schedule, the answer was just a few feet away.

The L'Anse junior said the Student Success Centers located in residence halls helped her learn time management and charting a schedule of what was most important.

“They showed me great tools on how to stay focused by helping me make to-do lists that charted them in groups, such as important and urgent, important and non urgent and not important (and) not urgent,” Raymond said.

For 12 years, Student Success Centers have been in place to provide students with academic help. There are four centers located within residence halls designed to ensure students succeed in college.

Within each Success Center there are academic advisers, student success coaches and counselors in residence. Academic advisers assist with class scheduling and work with students once they sign a major or minor. 

Student success coaches assist students in developing a plan to optimize their personal and academic performances. Counselors in residence provide staff consultations, support and crisis intervention.

Raymond also said that by hosting many programs, the centers allows students to receive guidance when adjusting to life away from their parents.

“They help students reduce stress by showing them new techniques that will improve the way they do things that they may already do, such as to do lists,” Raymond said.

Assistant director of Residence Life Abbas Hill said the centers are a vital part of the university’s campus.

“By taking advantage of the services offered in our Student Success Centers, students grow and succeed by being fully engaged and committed to their academic success and personal goals,” he said. “Our professional staff is committed to every student's success, however, as any of them will tell you, the student's commitment to their own success is what truly makes the difference.”

Joan Schmidt, director of Residence Life, said every student should utilize success centers. She said by having success centers located in residence halls, students are more likely to use them. 

“The proximity to students and them not having to go outside is key,” Schmidt said. “The easier it is to be utilized the more it will be utilized."