"Two Dicks Guying Around" Brings Laughter Through Improv

ddc_2953_14739

22 Warren Zack Pedica performs an improvisation for students in the platform theatre in Moore, Friday, Feb. 6.

The lights flashed before the room became pitch black. The sound of a chair being set down echoed throughout the dark room before the small stage lit up. Then began the show.

“Two Dicks Guying Around”, a long-form improvisation show starring Almont senior Forestt LaFave and Warren alumni Zack Pedica took place Friday in Moore Hall.

The University Studio Production consisted of a ‘slow-comedy’ style. The style causes scene partners to connect and to develop more grounded characters.

“There isn’t always a slower pace to the scene, but rather it’s about connecting with your partner and letting everything develop from the relationship,” said the Director’s note in the playbill.

The show began with Pedica and LaFave improvising as husband and wife. While getting dressed for a party, the husband, LaFave, helps Pedica unzip his dress and notices a new tattoo that says ‘trump’.

“It was supposed to say ‘tramp’,” said Pedica. “I don’t remember getting it.”

A text on Pedica's phone announces that his Aunt Susan is dropping by for a surprise visit. This triggers a bad reaction from LaFave, who, it's revealed, hates Aunt Susan. A fight ensues when LaFave admits that his dislike stems from Aunt Susan’s last visit when she insulted his signature Jamaican chicken recipe.

Aunt Susan soon arrives and Pedica leaves the room, claiming to have to go to the store. A second later, he reenters as Aunt Susan. LaFave and Pedicia, now Aunt Susan, exchanged bitter glares before they began to speak.

“Do you still work at that store?” said Aunt Susan.

LaFace asks if he’s referring to his job at Gucci, which Pedica confirms.

“I made that job up to impress you,” said LaFave. “I work at Target.”

The remark triggered laughter in the audience from those who know Pedica, who works at Target. Holding back a laugh and rubbing his face, he transitions the scene into the wife getting drunk at the grocery store.

“I think it went well. I was nervous because it was just two of us so if one of us messed up, it would crash and burn,” said Pedica. “I think the audience responded really well.”

While the audience wasn’t too loud, they “reacted nicely and seemed to enjoy themselves.” The audience is what he expected for the first night, said LaFave.

The pair practiced improve together twice a week, but Friday was their first time performing just with the two of them.

“It’s always weird because with this show, we aren't trying to make people laugh. We are just trying to be real,” said LaFave. “We had to stop a couple times to deal with the laughter because we didn't expect that so it’s improvisation. We’re making up the scenes so if we don’t focus on if we get laughs or not. We don’t have anyone editing for us. It’s just us.”

LaFave is also director of the show. He worked to become familiar with the style while working as an improv actor. The transitions and ending were up to the actors to figure out.

“I thought it was funny. It had good transitions and it was good improvisation,” said North Ville senior Eric Ripper. “You could tell when they switched scenes by the characters they played. I felt influenced by it as well with my own improv.”

The second and final performance of “Two Dicks Guying Around” Saturday at 7:30 p.m in the Platform in Moore Hall.