Wrestling gets 'Punked' in loss to Old Dominion

mainwrestling1
Monica Bradburn | Staff Photographer Pennsylvania junior Zach Horan grapples with his opponent a match against Old Dominion on Feb 15, at McGuirk Arena.

A heated matchup between Old Dominion University (11-4, 4-1) and the Central Michigan University wrestling team (7-6, 5-2) resulted in a loss for the Chippewas on Sunday at McGuirk Arena. 

ODU, No. 17 in the country, handed CMU its second Mid-American Conference loss 22-9. 

Down 15-9 halfway through the meet, CMU was looking to mount a comeback. With two matches left, the Chippewas needed back-to-back wins from sophomores Jordan Ellingwood and Austin Severn to tie the match. 

Both Ellingwood and Severn lost their matches and the game slipped away from CMU.

"I am not real happy, to be honest," said Head Coach Tom Borrelli. 

ODU Head Coach Steve Martin could be heard challenging the CMU crowd. 

After his 6-1 win over Wohlfert, ODU junior Tristan Warner pointed to the crowd, then flung his headgear off as he left the circle. 

In the last match with the win all but secure for ODU, sophomore Jack Dechow shoved Severn off the mat. According to Borrelli, OD's behavior started before the match began.

No penalties were given for any of the incidents.

"We got punked out today from the time that team got here," Borrelli said. "The stuff going on around their bench bothered me. Our team needs to toughen up."

At 141-pounds, CMU junior Zach Horan (No. 8) defeated Chris Mecate (No.12) 3-1 in double overtime. Through three periods, the match was tied at one. It took second tiebreaker for Horan to record the win, his 15th of the season. 

CMU freshman and No.15 Colin Heffernan lost to No.12 Lenny Richardson for ODU. Heffernan fell 5-1 against Richardson, who recorded two takedowns in the match. The loss on Sunday moved the CMU sophomore to 18-9 on the season.

Tyler Keselring won his match against junior Michael Hayes in 133-pound weight class to record CMU's first win of the afternoon.

CMU will look to rebound against Eastern Michigan University at 7 p.m. on Friday in Ypsilanti.