Wrestling tops Eastern Michigan, Michigan State

wrestling
Junior Zach Horan takes down his opponent Tyler Small from Kent State, Sunday, Feb. 1 at McGuirk Arena. CMU defeated Kent State 19-13.

Winning its last game of the Mid-American Conference schedule and stealing a game away from Michigan State University this weekend, the Central Michigan University wrestling team enters the week in second place in the MAC standings.

The top three spots in the MAC are: The University of Missouri (21-0, 8-0), CMU (8-6, 6-2) and Old Dominion (12-5, 5-2) 

The MAC Championship begins March 7.

After losing to Old Dominion earlier this season, CMU rebounded winning its last match against EMU.

"We've been pretty successful," Head Coach Tom Borrelli said. "I don't know why we wouldn't be confident heading into the championship."

Here is a breakdown of CMU's weekend sweep. 

Central Michigan 24, Eastern Michigan 12

Winning his sixteenth match of the 2015 season, junior Zach Horan defeated EMU's Michael Shaw 7-2 in the 141-pound weight class. Horan was selected MAC Wrestler of the Week last week. 

Redshirt freshman Colin Heffernan defeated EMU's Nicholas Barber 5-1 in the 149-pound weight class. Heffernan, ranked eighteenth according to Intermat and moved to 19-9 on the season. 

CMU jumped to a 24-6 lead heading into the last two matches  against EMU. EMU's Anthony Abro beat CMU junior Jackson Lewis 3-1 and Gage Hutchison won over CMU junior Adam Robinson.  

Central Michigan 21, Michigan State 12

Jordan Ellingwood pinned MSU's Nick Proctor to give CMU an early 6-0 lead in East Lansing. It was Ellingwood's 14th victory on the season.

MSU won four matches in a row to take a 12-9 lead. CMU then won the last four matches of the meet to secure the match win.

"We responded well," Borrelli said.

Horan tied the game at 12 when he beat MSU's Hermilo Esquivel 3-1 in the 141-pound weight class. 

Colin Heffernan gave CMU a 15-12 lead after defeating Nick Trimble in the 149-pound weight class. 

Freshman Cody LeCount earned his 21st victory of the season when he took down MSU's Travis Curley 5-1 in the 157-pound weight class.

CMU heads to the MAC Championship as the second seed on March 7.