Threads Fashion Show to showcase student designs in McGuirk Arena

mt-threads-05a
Morgan Taylor | Assistant Photo Editor Student Models show off designs created by senior Kristine Opaleski and junior Ann Marie Servant in the Threads Fashion Show in Plachta Auditorium on Saturday night. There collection was inspired by artist Joseph Mallord William Turner.

Work by Apparel Merchandising and Design students will be on display at the annual Threads Fashion Show, April 25. 

The show is an opportunity for designers in the program to gain real-world experience with producing and promoting a fashion show.

This year the show takes place in McGuirk Arena for the first time, giving them a bigger venue to work in. To get prepared for the show, two producers are running the event this year.

Jennise Thurston, a Harbor Springs graduate student is working as a designer for Threads, and producer of the show. She has worked for Threads for five years as designer, and producer. 

“It’s a way we can showcase all the work we’ve been doing over the last year," Thurston said. "It allows us to represent Central the best way we can.”

Portage sophomore Zach Stoner will also be a designer and producer of the show. As a freshman, he said he was interested in Threads from day one. 

“I came to Central partially because of Threads,” Stoner said. “I came up and toured and was told about this wonderful student-run fashion show. I kind of wheeled my way in as a freshman because typically that’s not allowed.”

Stoner said Threads shows improvements the apparel merchandising program has seen in recent years.

“The show represents our program and the amount of work that goes into it, and developing yourself before you go in and find a career.” Stoner said.

Because it is student-run, Threads hosts fundraising events during the semester to help support the show.

White Lake junior Hannah Fedorko will be participating as a designer for the second time.

“Last year I kind of heard about Threads halfway through the school year,” Fedorko said. “I really wanted to try to do it because I want to be a designer in the future.”

Fedorko is working with a partner this year. She said they are hoping to create clothing designs with a retro look. 

“Our inspiration is in a sense grunge,” Fedorko said.

Tickets for the fashion show are now available on Ticket Central for $16.