Baseball takes two of four at Indiana State Invitational

athletics

The Central Michigan University baseball team battled the rain and three opponents during weekend as part of the Indiana State Invitational in Terre Haute, Ind.

After a loss to the host team on Thursday, CMU's game against Rutgers University on Friday was postponed due to rain. They played a day-night doubleheader against the Scarlet Knights on Saturday, then wrapped up play on Sunday morning against Canisius College.

Thursday: Indiana State 4, CMU 3

The Chippewas trailed 2-0 early but cut the lead to 2-1 in the fourth inning with a RBI single from senior infielder Cody Leichman.

CMU grabbed the lead in the fifth inning when junior infielder Zack Fields’ sacrifice fly scored senior outfielder Nick Regnier. His brother junior outfielder Logan Regnier bunted in senior infielder Pat MacKenzie to give the Chippewas a 3-2 advantage.

The Chippewas committed two crucial errors in the sixth inning. The Sycamores capitalized and took a 4-3 lead, which would hold the rest of the game.

On the mound, sophomore right-hander Jordan Grosjean went 6 1/3 innings, giving up eight hits, four runs (two earned), with four strikeouts while walking none. Junior southpaw Jimmy McNamara pitched 1 2/3 innings of scoreless relief.

Saturday Game 1: CMU 3, Rutgers 1

After a rainout postponed Friday’s game to Saturday, the Chippewas used strong pitching to knock off its first Big Ten opponent this season in the day game.

The Chippewas scored first in the top of the second inning when senior catcher Tyler Huntey singled in freshman infielder Zach McKinstry to give CMU the early 1-0 lead.

They added two more in the sixth when Leichman flied out to left field to score Fields. Huntey added his second RBI of the game when he knocked in McKinstry again.

Sophomore lefty Nick Deeg tossed seven shutout innings, allowing five hits while striking out two and giving up only one free pass. Senior closer Tim Black gave up a run in the bottom of the ninth but notched his seventh save of the season.

Saturday Game 2: CMU 9, Rutgers 2

The nightcap saw CMU overcome a slow start to sweep the Scarlet Knights. After a 2-2 tie in the sixth inning, junior infielder Joe Houlihan walked and ended up scoring on a throwing error to give CMU the 3-2 lead.

CMU’s offense broke out in the bottom of the seventh, as they put five runs on the board to take a commanding 8-2 lead. Houlihan and Nick Regnier drew back-to-back bases loaded walks to score freshman pinch runner Colton Bradley and Logan Regnier.

McKinstry knocked a two-run single to right field to score Houlihan and Huntey. McKenzie drove in Nick Regnier to end the inning. CMU capped the scoring with a Houlihan RBI double in the eighth.

Junior right-hander Jason Gamble struck out two in 6 1/3 innings of work. Freshmen Braxton Markle and Sean Martens and junior Connor Kelly combined to pitch 2 2/3 innings of scoreless relief.

Sunday: Canisius 7, CMU 4

CMU followed the path of the men’s basketball team and fell to a Buffalo school this weekend.

The Chippewas took the lead in the second inning after trailing 1-0 after the first. MacKenzie drew a bases loaded walk to tie the game up at 1. Fields then hit a sacrifice fly to centerfield to score sophomore leftfielder Alex Borglin.

Huntey hit a solo shot to left in the sixth to give CMU their third run of the game. Fields hit another sacrifice fly to centerfield to drive in MacKenzie in the seventh inning.

The Golden Griffins scored four in the fifth inning and two in the sixth to put the game out of reach. The Chippewas also committed four errors in the game.

CMU junior left-handed pitcher Adam Aldred took the loss for the Chippewas, going 4 2/3 innings and allowing five hits, five runs (0 earned), while striking out four and walking four.

The Chippewas will take on the University of Notre Dame at 6:05 p.m. Wednesday in South Bend, Ind. The contest against the Fighting Irish will mark CMU’s final game before it begins Mid-American Conference play on Friday at home against Ohio University

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →