​Baseball scores go-ahead run in seventh innings, defeats Miami (Ohio) 4-3

baseball1
Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Junior outfielder Logan Regnier bats against Ohio Sunday at Theunissen Stadium. The Chippewas defeated the Bobcats, 4-0.

The Miami University defense had five fewer errors Saturday than it had Friday, but it was still a RedHawk defensive miscue Saturday that helped Central Michigan University baseball pick up the 4-3 win.

CMU (17-10, 4-1 Mid-American Conference) trailed Miami (Ohio) (4-18, 2-3 MAC) 3-1 with two outs in the sixth inning and the bases empty, but a rally was sparked by senior catcher Tyler Huntey’s walk.

Junior outfielder Logan Regnier—the only Chippewa with multiple hits—singled and Huntey advanced to third base.

A pitch that sneaked past the RedHawk catcher allowed Huntey to score and Regnier to advance to second. Regnier would score on freshman designated hitter Daniel Jipping’s base hit to tie the game 3-3. 

Both sixth-inning runs were unearned.

“It was very exhilarating the way we came back and won that game,” said Head Coach Steve Jaksa. “It was just a really, really good win for us today at their place. They were fighting like hell to get this one after yesterday.”

A trio of singles in the seventh inning gave the Chippewas what would end up being the winning run.

Freshman pitcher Sean Martens (3-0, 0.60 ERA) earned the win, pitching three innings and giving up one hit and no runs. Martens replaced the starter, junior Adam Aldred, in the fourth inning.

“I wouldn’t say pressure, but you’ve got a weight on your shoulders,” Martens said about coming into the game down two runs. “You’ve got to come in and compete and give your team an opportunity to compete.”

The Chippewas and RedHawks will finish the series tomorrow at 1 p.m.

“We put ourselves in good position,” Jaksa said. “We won the series today and now tomorrow becomes the most important game. We can get a real good knockout blow on this weekend and get a big sweep for ourselves.”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →