Baseball falls to Notre Dame 8-3

6956_cm_baseballg2_02f

Central Michigan Life File Photo 

The Central Michigan University baseball team was unable to overcome a 4-0 deficit following the first inning, falling the the University of Notre Dame 8-3 on Wednesday in South Bend, Ind. 

The Chippewas left 12 men on base during the loss that dropped CMU to 13-8 overall. 

Senior center fielder Nick Regnier, freshman third baseman Zach McKinstry and junior right fielder Logan Regnier each finished with two hits for CMU.

McKinstry also batted a run in.

The Irish jumped on the Chippewas early, scoring four runs off sophomore pitcher Jason Grosjean.

Grosjean pitched four innings giving up five runs, three earned, on five hits.

A leadoff double followed by a hit-by-pitch and a single loaded the bases for ND in the first inning.

None of the four runs were scored on a base hit. 

The CMU offense had trouble capitalizing with runners in scoring position.

In the third inning the Chippewas left two men on base. After loading the bases in the fourth inning, CMU scored one run on a sacrifice fly by junior shortstop Joe Houlihan, cutting ND's lead to 5-1.

Another scoring chance presented itself in the fifth inning with runners on second and third with two outs.

ND added three more runs in innings five, six and seven extending their lead to 8-2 entering the eighth inning.

Junior pitcher Connor Kelly (2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER BB), junior pitcher Josh Pierce (IP, H, 0 R, BB, K) and junior Sean Renzi (IP, 0 H, 0 R) also made appearances for the Chippewas.

A McKinstry walk in the ninth scored sophomore center fielder Alex Borglin.

Up Next

The Chippewas open the Mid-American Conference play in the first home game of the season at 3:05 p.m. Friday against Ohio University.