Davis, Rawls talk lasting effects of Bahamas Bowl ahead of NFL Draft

d3s6905
Hilltopper running back Leon Allen runs the ball as CMU’s Tony Annese closes in during the first half of the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl in Nassau on Wednesday, December 24, 2014.

The Popeyes Bahamas Bowl was four months ago, but former Central Michigan University running back Thomas Rawls and wide receiver Titus Davis were still talking about the game at Central Michigan University Pro Day March 20.

Davis had six catches, 137 yards and four touchdowns in his final game as a Chippewa, including the final dive to the pylon to bring CMU within one point after the clock expired in the fourth quarter.

“That’s kind of the thing guys brought up at the combine,” Davis said. “As soon as they met me, they said ‘How about that last play?’ Every scout talked about it, so I think that helped me out a little bit.”

Davis said he believes his performance in the bowl game helps his stock in this month’s NFL draft.

“That’s definitely one of the games that scouts will go back to and look over before the draft, so I was pleased with that.”

Davis, Rawls and defensive tackle Leterrius Walton were all invited to February’s NFL Combine and were three of 15 seniors to participate in the Chippewas’ March 13 Pro Day.

Rawls said scouts asked him about the bowl game as well, but for different reasons. The Flint native didn’t make the trip to The Bahamas after being suspended for academic reasons. He talked more about the issue Friday.

“It was just an academic issue,” Rawls said. “It was a lot of misunderstanding as far as the credit hours. I was supposed to be enrolled in nine and I was in nine, but one of my classes wasn’t an hour credit class, it was a pass/fail, so that didn’t count toward (my credit hours).”

CMU running backs had 114 yards in the bowl game, led by sophomore Martez Walker with 68 yards. Rawls had more than 120 yards in five games in 2014.

“The guys that went down there played their butts off and finished off strong,” Rawls said.

NFL scouts also had questions about Rawls’ court case from last fall. He said both situations have been motivation for him as he works toward an NFL career.

“I didn’t take it as a negative, I take it as a positive,” Rawls said. “I take everything in a positive way. If I drift off on it too much, in a way it could affect me. I just keep going. I’ve been through ups and downs my whole life. It’s just football, you know?”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →