Flint's mayor discusses city's master plan with CMU students

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling speaks to students about city planning in Flint during his seminar "Planning, Politics, and Urban Revitalization in Michigan" on Feb. 27 in Dow Hall.

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling spoke to about 40 CMU students and faculty Friday afternoon in Dow Science Building about implementing Flint’s first comprehensive master plan since 1960. Walling’s 20 year plan addresses economic, social, and ecological issues that Flint faces as it moves forward in the 21st century.

“I don’t want you to get the idea that this plan is just about roads, and pipes, and you know, brownfields and businesses,” said Walling. “There’s a real strong recognition in our work that is has to be based on people.”

Flint’s struggle with illiteracy and poverty demonstrates the need for, what the mayor calls his number one strategy, building a strong, sustainable and lasting workforce. Walling wants to bring education back in to communities and use schools as hubs for neighborhood development.

“I’m not one that thinks our school system should just be kind of a pick and mix, and you just kind of shop here and you shop there, “said Walling. “I think the value of public education goes far beyond that.”

“These are interesting policies he’s [Mayor Walling] putting in place,” said CMU senior Joe Gilbert.  Gilbert, an education major, wanted more clarification on how Walling intends to increase education and literacy rates. "I didn't understand a lot of the plan for doing that, we need something in place that will promote critical thinking."

Walling’s plan also introduces the idea of green neighborhoods to Flint; areas closer to the city where families can own 2500 square foot homes, have a backyard for kids, a detached garage and not be too close to neighbors. This isn’t the suburbs or apartments, it’s a completely different idea, said Walling.

The Flint River corridor through the city of Flint features a complete make-over under Walling’s plan. What Walling calls a “gray channel,” will become a naturalized environment. The mayor hopes the river can be navigable by canoe and used by fish and wildlife enthusiasts. “There are some interesting ideas about how that concrete channel through the city can turn back into a vibrant, ecological, attractive, social and recreational environment,” said Walling.

One thing is for certain, Flint’s road to recovery will not happen overnight. Mayor Walling’s 20 year plan is an ambitious one. “When you go through 30 straight years of population decline and you've got half your number of folks, you regularly make the top 10 most violent crime cities in the country and your water rates are through the roof,” said Walling, speaking about Flint's turbulent past. “What we've tried to do with the master plan is have an optimistic, but still sober discussion about where we’re at so that we can take the possible steps forward.”