Life after graduation: Alumni influence current students by working for CMU

alumni_1
Grand Rapids Staci Dunneback, 23, works on her computer Feb. 17 at the Student Success Center.

When Morgan Hales needed a job after graduation, she didn't have to look very far.

Now the assistant director of admissions, the 2006 graduate with a double major in public relations and communication works on a daily basis with families interested in Central Michigan University.

“ I am able to go into high schools or give presentations on campus," she said. "I talk to potential students and their families about all the wonderful things CMU has to offer, and am able to help recruit the next generation of students."

The best part of the job, Hales said, is getting to help families with academic decisions that will define their childrens' future.

“I think the best part of my job is the interaction I have with families on a daily basis,” she said. “Applying to colleges, (and managing) finances and housing can be difficult. I was a first generation college student. I know how difficult it can be to figure out the whole process.”

Hales said she also enjoys working at CMU because of the friendly campus culture.

“Everyone willing to help you with any questions you may have," she said. "I knew that as a student and wanted to be a part of it. It’s also great to be able to talk to people every day about a place I love.”

Staci Dunneback, a 2013 graduate, works as a success coach in the North Campus Success Center. As part of her job she also works daily with students to help them complete their degree and figure out their direction in life.

“I saw that I had an opportunity to impact students,” she said. “I want to help students go from surviving to thriving. It’s fulfilling to know that I can help them find their path.”

Dunneback said the day-to-day duties of her job vary. On a typical day, she meets with students and tries to identify problems they are facing.

“I try to identify what is important to the student, find out where they’re at and what action steps are necessary to get them where they want to go,” Dunneback said.

Dunneback frequently works with honor students, improving time management skills and balancing of school, life and anxiety, along with bettering study techniques.

Dunneback said getting to help students is rewarding, since she knows what it is like to be at a transitional point of life.

“I really encourage students to dig deeper and find out what is important,” she said. “The students inspire me. They come back to me and report these monumental changes in their lives and it reminds me why I do this.”

Maria Schmidtke, assistant director of athletic communications, said she loves the chance to mentor the students she works with. Schmidtke graduated from CMU in 2011 with a degree in integrative public relations. She received her master's in sports administration in 2014.

"I have the opportunity to mentor students and prepare them for the real world and life after college," she said. "There are certain things the classroom can't teach students and it is the real world experiences that help prepare students for their future careers."

Schmidtke said she loves having the chance to work at CMU and grow in her professional career.

"When I was in high school, CMU was the only school I applied to. I came to campus as a freshman in 2007, so I've grown up here, both as a person and professionally. I worked my way up in our department from an intern, to a graduate assistant, now to a full-time employee."