Marijuana bill introduced in SGA Senate

sgameetingcpendergrass

Evart freshmen Crystal Pendergrass shares event information about the Public Service Residential Community during a Student Government association meeting March 2 in Anspach 162. 

Marijuana would be allowed for use on campus if a bill being discussed by the Student Government Association is made to alter school policy. 

The bill was passed unanimously in the Senate and tabled in the House at Monday's SGA meeting. Aiming to allow students with medical marijuana cards to use cannabis on campus, the bill will be revisited at the SGA's next meeting. 

According to both federal law and university policy, possession of marijuana on campus is a misdemeanor, with or without documentation.

Sen. Ian Elliot, the bill’s author, said his intention is not for students to possess and use marijuana for recreational purposes, but to assist students who require the drug for ailments such as multiple sclerosis and cancer.

“(This bill) would not allow for the use outside of anything that the state already allows, or what physicians are already recommending,” Elliot said. “(But) this bill cannot be enacted, theoretically, until federal law changes.”

The bill enables students with medicinal marijuana cards to possess and use the drug in any form. It focuses on edible forms, Elliot said, to avoid conflict with the campus-wide ban on smoking. 

“Most of the students that we are representing would prefer to use a digestive form,” Elliot said.

It is legal in Michigan for a person to possess marijuana for medicinal purposes. Within the city of Mount Pleasant, an individual may posses up to an ounce of marijuana and use it on their private property.

Sgt. Riley Olson of the Central Michigan University Police Department said when calls are made to the department for use of marijuana on campus, each instance is dealt with on a “case-by-case” basis.

“Fortunately here at CMU, what makes us different than any other law enforcement agency around here is that we do have the ability to handle things ‘in house’ through Student Rights and Responsibilities.” Olson said. “If we do deal with somebody that is in possession of or uses marijuana, (CMUPD) has the opportunity to complete an investigation and forward it on to the Office of Student Conduct.”

Although Olson said that it is a “small amount” of students, medical marijuana patients do make up a portion of students charged with possession on campus.

Sen. Michael Fenner, said the bill should not be viewed as an encouragement to use marijuana recreationally.

“The intention of this bill no way relates to the (recreational) use of marijuana,” Fenner said.

If you go:

SGA holds general meetings at 8 p.m., Mondays in Anspach 162.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →